Comment On Croatia Itinerary Suggested by Travel Agent

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working with traveltimeny to do an air/lodging package for Croatia in September for my family (2 adults, 2 kids 4.5 and 2 years). We don't want to move around too much. We are travelling from Atlanta. We have a lot of flexibility to travel most of September.

I know this is very basic standard itinerary so there isn't anything radical here...but would love any thoughts.

SEP 05 transfer to hotel
SEP 05-07 (2 nights) Split
SEP 07 ferry Split-Hvar (1 hour catamaran)
SEP 07-17 (10 nights) Hvar - private accommodation
SEP 17 ferry Starigrad (Hvar) - Dubrovnik 09:00 am - arr 04;15 pm
SEP 17-23 (6 nights) Dubrovnik (Hotel or APartment)
SEP 23 early transfer to Dubrovnik airport

1) My first inclination was to go to Dubrovnik FIRST and Hvar next, to allow for city stimuli first before island relaxation but they adivse that ferries etc will work out better this way given timings etc. They also suggested that it will be nice to stop in Split just a couple of days to recuperate from journey. I had thought about 1 -2 on way out... but I think nicer to end on the fabulous note of Dub vs. Split. Any thoughts on the order? I get a sense from prior posts that Split is only midly enjoyable for people.

I had thought 7 maybe 10 days in Hvar but am wondering if 10 full days is good. We want to relax and I think it would be good.

All of these are flights in and out of Frankfurt direct to Split and out of Dub. Which is good in general for kids. I can't help but fantasizing about maybe trying to stop in Rome for a few days on way back or Venice. But that is probably crazy right? Thoughts about spending 3 weeks in one country and then orienting for only a few days to someplace else?

I promise excellent trip report when we return! My husband and I went crazy reading about the food in Croatia from old post. Anything with olive oil and wine is always good to me.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Instead of Split how about Trogir? It's about a 1/2 hour north of Split. 10 nights in Hvar seems a lot - maybe equal time in both Hvar and Dubrovnik? Both are fantastic - I'm going back to Hvar for the third time this September and just haven't been able to get back down to Dubrovnik due to time restrictions (a whole month in Croatia - lucky you)
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Carta_Pisana. Could you say more why Trojir as a base vs. visit from Split?

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:01 PM

I've only been through Split on my way out to Hvar and Zadar and found Split dusty, lots of graffitti, lots of tourist shops - it's a major transportation hub for not only ferries but also buses and trains. I've not been to Trogir - it's a UNESCO site and the stone work is suppose to be incredible. I'm just thinking with two children the scale of Trogir might be more appealing. When you said base I was thinking instead of staying in Split just staying in Trogir for your first 2 nights. Not sure what your transportation is. The buses run every 1/2 hour to Zadar - you just hop off at Trogir, though you would have to take the bus back to Split to catch the ferry to Hvar - which may be too much motoring about for you.

http://www.croatia.hr/

http://www.trogir-online.com

http://www.trogir.org/
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

topping - why don't I find this post when I search Croatia??
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:34 AM

My initial thoughts are these:

I agree with CP about staying in Trogir rather than Split. Trogir is a wonderful little island full of charm. You could visit Split for a 1/2 a day and visit Diocletian's Palace and the market next to it.

I think 10 days is overkill for Hvar but that is just my opinion. If you stay for longer than a few days I think it would be a good idea to rent a car and visit other wonderful parts of the island such as Zavala Beach and the Zlatan Plavic winery.

I absolutely fell in love with Dubrovnik and it is at the top of my list of favorite cities. There are many day trips that you can do that would keep you busy for several days.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Topping
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:49 PM

I agree about staying in Trogir. especially with the children ,it has a lovely walled city & nice promenade . we stayed in a very nice B&B across the bridge Vila Sikaa they have air conitioned rooms www.vila-sikaa-r.com
if you need more info E-mail me.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:03 PM

I agree with the others that staying in Trogir to unwind would be a good choice. For one thing, Trogir is closer to the Split airport than is Split. Frequent bus transport from Trogir makes going into Split to see the (big city) sights convenient. As I recall it takes a little over half an hour.

You might consider either breaking up your stay in Hvar with trips to other islands, or moving to another island for a few days. While Hvar is wonderful, eight days seems a bit much. I'd suggest going to Korcula for a few days. The town of Korcula is lovely, and there are nearby beach towns, like Lumbarda which is only a short bus ride away -- and is simply great. In September, the main tourist rush has passed and you should have little trouble finding places to stay.

Once in Dubrovnik, a day-long side trip to Montenegro is well worth the time IMO.

We were in Kroatia last September. I posted a looong six-part trip report which might give you some hints. Just click on my screen name.

I'm sure you will have a lovely time!