coming up with an itinerary from Oslo Norway to Stockholm Sweeden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2023, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Oslo late May and have 9 days to spend in Norway, starting with Oslo and surrounding areas. We can rent a car, take any type of public transportation. Looking for suggestions on an itinerary. We want to end up in Stockholm and are flexible but ideally want to also see things along the way from the Oslo area to the Stockholm area. We have approximately 5days to spend on route and in Stockholm.
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 09:44 AM

If you have never been to Oslo count on spending a few days there. There are lots of things to see,

such as the National Museum

the Munch Museum:

City Hall where they confer the Nobel Peace Prize:

the skansen:

and just walking around to enjoy the city as a whole: get a guidebook

Take a train to Fredrikstad as an outing or on your way to Sweden:

I suggest that either fly or take the train to get to Stockholm:

the second part of this trip report is about Oslo.

Trip Report: Paris, Lille, Oslo, Vienna, NYC, May-June 2023

Last edited by Michael; Dec 7th, 2023 at 10:08 AM.
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 11:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you only have 5 days total, your best bet is probably splitting the time approx 50/50 between Oslo and Stockholm and fly or take the train between the two. Not much time for meandering around the countryside.

(collecting a car in one country and dropping in another can add very high drop-off fees, so you'd likely some sort of public transport between the two cities in any case)

Old Dec 9th, 2023, 09:59 AM

If you only have five days I agree that the easiest option is probably to just take the train to Stockholm and spend the days there. I you want to see something else, you can add a night in Karlstad on the way to Stockholm.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 12:23 PM
mjs

I have not driven from Oslo to Stockholm because drop off fees can be very expensive. Would not surprise me if it’s something like $500 to $1000 extra plus your basic rental fees. If I were you I would consider driving through Norway to Bergen along several of the scenic routes. Fly from Bergen to Stockholm. Alternatively spend your time all in Norway as it’s a large and beautiful country and fly home from Bergen or Oslo.
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your responses. We plan on spending ~10 days in Norway, starting in Oslo, then heading over to Bergen, then driving throughout the country, and then 4-5 days in Stockholm.
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 09:09 AM

That's what we did. You do not need to do the Norway in a Nutshell circuit on your way to Bergen as you will see that scenery as you drive in the fjord country.

Here's my trip report:

Trip Report: Norway, July 2009

The URLs referring to photographs might be out-dated, so here's the album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjpdzmt7

The mountain scenery is impressive:

Old Dec 14th, 2023, 11:20 AM
mjs

There is a website for the scenic drives of Norway. I would use it to help plan your route. We only drove in and out of Bergen and enjoyed the Gaularfjellet, Aurlandsfjellet and Hardanger. End in Bergen and fly to Stockholm.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 06:09 AM

mjs: Maybe you mean "Nasjonale turistveier" (National Tourist Roads)? I'm not allowed to post URLs on this forum yet (which feels like it's 1998 or something again), but it should be googleable.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by adkmud
Thanks to everyone for your responses. We plan on spending ~10 days in Norway, starting in Oslo, then heading over to Bergen, then driving throughout the country, and then 4-5 days in Stockholm.
Just a note that the countryside on the Norwegian-Swedish border is not the most interesting or exciting. Why not do Oslo, go to Bergen, hire a car there to have more freedom of movement, fly from Bergen to Stockholm, do Stockholm.
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. Our plan as of now is to spend 2-3 days in Oslo, and then rent a car and drive towards Bergen, spend 2 days there, then head north, going through Flam, Aurland, Geiranger, Jostedal, Andalsnes, Trollsigen, and Lom - doing fjord cruise, scenic drives, some hiking and glacier walking. Then back to Oslo to catch the train to Stockholm for 4 days.