Comfortable Shoes for Men and for Women

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for recommendations for comfortable (somewhat cute) shoes for a man and woman. My husband and I will be in Paris at the end of June and want to make sure we have the right shoes. Since it will be warm would you suggest I back a good walking shoe and maybe a sandal? I'm thinking Merrels and maybe Born. My husband's back will bother him if he doesn't have good shoes. I don't want him to be miserable!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM

I swear by Merrill and my husband has very comfortable shoes from Ecco. Mephisto can also be good. Cute depends on the style.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 07:29 PM

I have Ecco's for work shoes and Merrill's for my regular/walking shoes and love both pairs.

Find something comfortable for you and don't worry about what it looks like. What kind of shoes do you wear normally if you're going to be walking a lot? Wear those. If you do buy new shoes, I would definitely suggest making sure they're broken in well before you leave.

Have fun, June is a wonderful time to visit Paris
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Mephisto (now) has several nice models for women,probably for men too.
Very expensive, but last a long time. When I can, I buy Meph. in Paris.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM

i have bought a pair of FLEXX
they can roll up theyre so flexible in the sole

mine are almond toe lace ups
suede and patent black leather
look great with jeans or pants
they are going tobe my city walkers
i have bought some salamanda hikers that come up to the ankle for my walking in norway - going for the rugged look there lol
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM

I wear Mephisto and Merrell both for work (standing all daY)and neither are "cute" for women. I also have both brands in sandals but for travel I like to have some foot coverage to avoid injury/filth I just purchased some Naot mary janes that feel pretty good and look a lot cuter than the other brands. I think they will be very good to walk all day in Paris. They were less expensive than the Mephisto,too
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:18 AM

My wife has Mephisto maryjanes. I think they look cute on her, but then I think everything looks cute on her. She says they are comfortable.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 03:38 AM

I love my Fluchos sewn by hand:
www.fluchos.com/primver2009/eng/index.htm
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Hello USANC

When you do try on a pair of shoes, remember that you are in a store that probably has a tiled or carpeted floor.

Then remember all the places you will visit that have cobblestoned streets or alleyways.

A pair of shoes needs to have good, thick soles. Cobblestones will really do a number on your feet otherwise.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
old ones are best
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:18 AM

If you want to enjoy your trip, good walking shoes are a must! Just returned from 10 days in Rome - and we walked everywhere. I brought three pair of shoes, and it helped to switch back and forth. Brought Ecco's, Merrell and P. W. Minor. Ecco's and Merrell's were the most supportive. Feet really take a beating on cobblestone streets and sidewalks. My husband had a great pair of Ecco's. Whatever you do, wear the shoes before your trip to make sure you don't get blisters. And remember, even though shoes may be comfortable at home - walking through the mall is a lot different than walking in Europe.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:45 AM

Another vote for Ecco's. Mine have now been to Europe 3 times and Costa Rica once - very lightweight and VERY comfortable. Most styles are good enough for the office as well.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:47 AM

I should have added that I also have back problems. In fact, had 4 dics operated on in '07, and had no problems at all with my Ecco's in 15 days in Greece last year.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:54 AM

I like my Ecco's. They are comfortable, durable, lightweight, waterproof and work for walking all day or dressing up.

You can see the exact model I wear at this visual men's packing list:

http://www.polyvore.com/mens_travel_...set?id=1440268
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:30 AM

I like my Eccos lots and they're stylish enough to wear to upper tier restaurants. Good support, fit, comfort.

However, my most comfortable pair of shoes is a pair of cordovan penny loafers I purchased from Brooks Bros. many years ago. Expensive, but will last forever. I've walked 10 miles in a day around Paris and San Francisco wearing them and they're like butter.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM

I've always been happy with Merrell collection. Unfortunately, they're more casual than what I'd like, but they are very supportive and comfy. My feet don't aches after 10-14 hrs!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Another vote for Merrel. Their jungle moc is great for walking all over town, and the Neptune model takes a nice enough shine to wear with dressier clothes (maybe not a tux, but..) and both are easy on and off for airport security. With big, bony feet and a bad back, having the right shoes can make a big difference in how pleasant a trip can be. I bought these online at shoebuy.com for a decent price, and the size selection was good (important for us bigfooted creatures.)
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback! It is has been helpful!
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 05:16 AM

I recently bought a pair of Eccos, really comfortable and now breaking them in for my June trip!
Think they are great coz it is good for normal way and not shd be good enough for smart casual!

http://www.ecco.com/int/en/collectio...-productdetail
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:52 AM

I'll just add that you should try to walk in your new shoes as much as possible prior to your trip. It's no fun trying to break in new shoes while on vacation.

Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -