Colosseum-Forum ticket question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2024, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize if this question is a repeat but I can’t find it if it is so …..

I know there is a new website for Colosseum tickets. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out before I need to purchase next month.

My question is, because the Colosseum is a timed entry, do you have to go to the Forum after the Colosseum or can you go in the 24 hours before? In other words, Forum an afternoon and Colosseum the next morning.

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 11:54 PM

Before or after and doesn't need to be the same day

Which ticket are you thinking of purchasing? Are you good with stairs and heights?

Last edited by bhuty; Apr 10th, 2024 at 12:04 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 12:03 AM

So I just wanted to answer your question first but now I want to give you my advice

My advice is if it works in your other plans to do the Colosseum at around 4pm... depending on how slowly you want to go through it. By being one of the last entries you can literally take photos of the arena with no one in the background and without fighting for position.

When you enter you'll be tempted to go straight to the arena but you dont have to. You can go up stairs first and read all of the information and then as the crowds start to lighten up you can walk around upstairs with less crowds then go back downstairs and go to the arena floor with almost no one else.... or you can do the arena floor while the crowds are still there and then be the last to leave up stairs thus taking photos of the arena without the crowds downstairs... up to you.

But being first in won't give you that luxury AND being last in has shorter lines whereas if you want to be first in the even though you have a timed ticket you'll still be waiting early to be the first of those at your time. Going at 3.45 to 4.15 ish allows you to not worry about that
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 01:33 AM

Hello LCBoniti. Very interested in your post as I was about to post on the same topic. Did you manage to make your booking for Colosseum tickets? I was wondering if anyone can confirm if children are in fact free. I am double guessing myself however the site dies say that this is the case when they access together with paying adults on the same date and at the same time. However you do need to collect their tickets after the security checks, at the internal ticket office of the Colosseum. Hoping that is correct because it is certainly a cost saver!
I am also struggling to understand the benefit of paying huge amounts for the guided tours operating via private tour companies. The official (assuming I have the right one: site https://ticketing.colosseo.it/en/eve...T10%3A00%3A00Z) details a ticket option that includes admission to Colosseum, Arena, guided tour of undergound level and admission to Forum etc. I can see that the private tours would offer more information/guidance which would include Forum however there is such a price difference!
Very interested to hear if anyone has purchased the guided tour from the official page and found that the balance of guided versus unguided was sufficient?

Old Apr 10th, 2024, 01:37 AM

And, does anyone know how far in advance they open the official tickets? Currently the tickets are only available to book up until 10 May 2024.
Thank you!
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by deassube
I am also struggling to understand the benefit of paying huge amounts for the guided tours operating via private tour companies. The official (assuming I have the right one: site https://ticketing.colosseo.it/en/eve...T10%3A00%3A00Z) details a ticket option that includes admission to Colosseum, Arena, guided tour of undergound level and admission to Forum etc. I can see that the private tours would offer more information/guidance which would include Forum however there is such a price difference!
Very interested to hear if anyone has purchased the guided tour from the official page and found that the balance of guided versus unguided was sufficient?
So in over hearing the tour guides I could hear that they tell you very interesting stuff but honestly, I'm glad we didn't do it. it allowed us to go at our own pace, focus on what we wanted to focus on for the amount of time we wanted and allowed us to have photos with on one else in or around as if we were the only ones there. You can go to the internal ticket place and get an audio guide anway and so I highly recommend doing that

First go to here
https://colosseo.it/en/tickets/full-experience/

That link has a BUY TICKEt button on it which takes you to here;
https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php...plate3&lang=en
this page gives you a range of options - all of them are good but not all are available (and not all in english). If you can then book this one
https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php...0F9C7B&lang=en

but chances are you can't book that so then try for this one
https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php...0F632A&lang=en
but again chances are that you won't get tickets to this but keep checking every day as the available tickets change unexpectedly
Most likely you'll get this
https://ecm.coopculture.it/index.php...0EB610&lang=en

I first opted for the attic but then change our mind because my wife has a bung knee and doesn't like heights BUT you can always add in the attic experience in the internal ticket office that you mentioned earlier.

I WOULD NOT DO THIS ONE
https://colosseo.it/en/tickets/24h-c...-and-palatine/
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhuty
So I just wanted to answer your question first but now I want to give you my advice

My advice is if it works in your other plans to do the Colosseum at around 4pm... depending on how slowly you want to go through it. By being one of the last entries you can literally take photos of the arena with no one in the background and without fighting for position.

When you enter you'll be tempted to go straight to the arena but you dont have to. You can go up stairs first and read all of the information and then as the crowds start to lighten up you can walk around upstairs with less crowds then go back downstairs and go to the arena floor with almost no one else.... or you can do the arena floor while the crowds are still there and then be the last to leave up stairs thus taking photos of the arena without the crowds downstairs... up to you.

But being first in won't give you that luxury AND being last in has shorter lines whereas if you want to be first in the even though you have a timed ticket you'll still be waiting early to be the first of those at your time. Going at 3.45 to 4.15 ish allows you to not worry about that
Thank you for this excellent information! We will be there in June - I wonder if that changes your perspective?

In any case, I believe you have caused me to re-think this and resolve the entire issue.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deassube
Hello LCBoniti. Very interested in your post as I was about to post on the same topic. Did you manage to make your booking for Colosseum tickets? I was wondering if anyone can confirm if children are in fact free. I am double guessing myself however the site dies say that this is the case when they access together with paying adults on the same date and at the same time. However you do need to collect their tickets after the security checks, at the internal ticket office of the Colosseum. Hoping that is correct because it is certainly a cost saver!
That is my understanding as well, from several different sources. We intend to make use of this as we have four children in our group.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 06:05 PM

Thanks LCBoniti. We are also there in June and have 3 children in our group. The costs do add up when you want to do it all!.
I am going to try my luck with booking official tickets and hope I can get some!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 01:05 AM

Thank you bhuty for all the links and advice! Fingers crossed!
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 03:17 AM

I've never seen the need of any guided tours of the Colosseum. They have excellent informative signs all over the place. After all, it's not hard to understand what you're seeing; it's a sports arena, and they haven't changed much in two millennia. I would advise reading a bit about its history before you go, and then just wandering around on your own. There are also free "virtual tours" you can download if you really want some sort of tour.

The Roman Forum, on the other hand, really benefits from a good tour guide. There is very little information on the site, and it's even difficult to follow the itineraries suggested by various guide books, because almost none of the roads have signs.

The Palatine Hill is often overlooked by visitors, which is a real shame, because it's very beautiful. You can get some great views of the Colosseum from there. A good tour guide would also be worthwhile there.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 12:27 AM

I'm thinking that at the roman forum there may have been numbers next to things for an audio tour. I think that you might be able to download an app or something to listen to it.

I agree with what was said about the Roman forum except or maybe unless you like to go at your own pace and govern your own time.
Although I found the place super interesting, the area is so massive that i didn't feel like seeing it all. so a guided tour would probably have to give you some highlights and then let you explore the rest on your own ???? I overheard some great stories from tour guides but still happy enough to have not used one.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 11:39 PM

Hello LCBoniti. Just wanted to let you know that i have been in email contact with a tour company who advised that Colosseum Underground tickets (and the other tours) are posted 4 weeks in advance and the underground tour sells out in 45 minutes...I can see what bhuty is talking about with regards to difficulty obtaining official tickets/tours. So, I am exploring private tour options now and keeping my options open!