Colon v. Meridien in Barcelona

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Ben

Colon v. Meridien in Barcelona

We are taking a Tauck Tour in April, starting in Barcelona. We're traveling there a little earlier, but Tauck can't get us into Le Meridien,where Tauck stays, for all the days we will be in Barcelona. So we were lucky to get a junior suite at the Colon, with no guarantee of a cathedral view.
Question: If we can stay at Le Meridien for 4 days, but not 5; and we can stay at the Colon for all 5, which would you choose? I say this only because in Rants and Raves, someone recently ranted about the Colon -- dirty room, torn rugs, etc.
Thanks for your help.
Ben

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:45 PM
John

I would stay all five nights at the Colon. I think it's in a much better location than the Meridien. I've stayed there twice and loved it. Great hotel.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Eva

I took the Tauck Tour of Spain last summer and really liked the Meridien. Admittedly it wasn't like the Palace in Madrid, but it was a nice place with a great location. I've never seen the Colon. Good luck on your decision. Keep posting if you have more specific questions and have fun with Tauck!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 09:57 PM
John H

Ben,

We (6 of us) spent 3 nights at the Colon in September 2000 and loved it. You can't beat the location -- across from the Cathedral, a 5 minute walk to Las Ramblas. The rooms were very nice and spacious and well-priced (though I think they are now in the $190 range vs. $160 2 years ago).

Enjoy your trip.

John H

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Tracey

One more vote for Hotel Colon! I've stayed there twice. It's in a perfect location and it's a beautiful hotel!!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 01:13 PM
barbara

My husband and I stayed at the Colon for 4 days in March. I think it has the best location in Barcelona, and our room was lovely. Be sure to find out when the Sardana will be danced in front of the Cathedral. It's wonderful to watch.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Terry West

Have just returned from Barcelona and spent 8 nights at the Colon. It has been refurbished, and the rooms (facing the Cathedral) was lovely. The staff are very helpful, and we really felt "taken care of". Great location, and lots to see. Had an excellent meal one evening in the Grill Restaurant at the Hotel. We would return tomorrow!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
ben

Because I started this string, I feel bound to add my two cents.
We stayed at the Colon for 7 nights before joining the Tauck Tour. We had a junior suite facing the Cathedral, and it was lovely -- wonderful to wake up to and look out, beautiful at night, lit up until about midnight (when we returned to our room that early). I would not trade the location, which was accessible to all that we wanted to visit. The staff is welcoming and most helpful.
Le Meridien is no slouch, but we didn't have the kind of room that we paid for at the Colon. I don't like Las Ramblas, so that puts me in the minority, so I wouldn't think twice in making my recommendation. But, breakfast at Le Meridien is unworldly, and there is much more going on in the hotel at night. So if that counts, go there. But if I return to Barcelona, which is now among my favorite places on earth, the Colon it is.
Ben