COLMAR OR FREIBURG?

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COLMAR OR FREIBURG?

I have one day allocated for a tour which place should I visit Colmar or Freiburg? Or should I try to fit in both locations in one day since the locations are about 30 miniutes drive by car?

your feedbace is very much appreciated

Noel
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM

I always try to spend at least one night in Freiburg when I'm in Europe. It's a doable midsize city with a beautiful cathedral with a daily market at its feet. I find the sound of the water flowing in the gutters alongside the streets very relaxing.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have only been to Colmar in "little Venice" my hotel overlooking the canal and it's a charming town.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:50 PM

Neither. Is Strasbourg an option? What about other small village in Alsace? If that is not an option then Colmar would be nice. Its a beautiful drive to Freiburg, but not really worth it.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:11 PM

I suppose it's sacrilege for a diehard francophile to say this, but my vote goes to Freiburg. Somehow, when you're actually IN Germany, all the germanic things don't seem half as kitschy as they do in Alsace.
Besides, it's a university town, and those are always filled with interesting shops and activities. The main square is lovely, and I think I had the best Ochsenschwansuppe of my life there.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:15 PM

i loved colmar! it was far better than I thought it would be!! you can walk the whole cobbled old town.. it has great shops, lovey alsace buildings.. Loved the typical roof tile patterns...has a museum and some other sites and is close to all the great wine villages. it was raining when we were there and seemed like a great french movie! be sure to hit the supermarket south end of town and get some fluer d'sel and great cheeses. to me it was a combination of german and french atmosphere. I was in Freiburg going to the black forest a couple of years ago in may and the traffic was horrible (bumper to bumper-no accident) seemed like a bigger town ...just my experience. dont try to do both!!! visit the wine villages
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 07:20 PM

We were not impressed with Colmar. We drove around in circles looking for "Little Venice," and felt Colmar was just another "big city." When we finally found little venice, we were not overly thrilled. It was nice, but not your typical Alsacian town/village.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:32 AM
jmw

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if you're an early riser, you really could do both. Of the two areas, the Alsace is my favorite, but of the two towns, Freiburg gets my vote.

Remember, StCirq, that Alsace was German at some points in its history, so it's architecture is authentic. J.

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:51 AM

Colmar and freiburg are both lovely cities and deserve a good day each. Why not stay in Munster, 20 km from Colmar, where we stayed in a great appartment for a week at Suzy and Andre Haumesser tel 33 (0) 3 89 77 49 21, a nice appartment for two was just $ 350 Euros, very quiet and very romantic.