Colloseum opens gladiator pits

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an article, the English language version, from the Italian website ansa.it regarding the colloseum.

I am posting it for all of you fortunate travelers that will be in Rome. Being able to go up to the third tier to enjoy the view of Rome should be fantastic!

http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri...732560677.html
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Thanks - very interesting.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks Love for posting this-will try and hit it the next time I am in Roma.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

I hope one of you will post a report! I very possibly will be there sometime next year. If so I will go into the gladiators pits although it seems "creepy", lol. But climbing up to the 3rd tier sounds fantastic. Regards!
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Very interesting LoveItaly. I wonder how we can make reservations?
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM

I will be there in Rome October 27th. Less than 2 weeks. My first day will include the Vatican and colloseum. I so hope I can experience this--thanks for the sharing this info.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Hello, bxl, after I posted this thread I too wondered how one makes a reservation to see the gladiator pits. Perhaps your hotel will know, assuming you are not staying in an apartment, or via Google?

I hope one of you that will be there will take pictures of the view of Rome from the 3rd tier and post them here, it would be wonderful to see them.

Enjoy fantastic Rome, diann...and when you have a drink at some outside cafe overlooking a piazza think of me! I so miss Rome. I always remember some years ago a Fodorie posting "I am Romesick"...so true!
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 06:37 PM

LoveItaly - this sounds like a great destination for 41 students in March. I think they would love to take a visit to both destinations. Has anyone been able to determine the admission cost or reservation process?

tC
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Hello, teacherCanada, how are you? I am so frustated as I have not been able to find information regarding the reservation situation. Despite the commom term "Google is your friend" it sure hasn't been in this case. I agree, your students would no doubt love to visit the gladiators dens (shudder, lol) and also to climb to the top of the 3rd tier. Perhaps, but I sure don't know, but I would think where you would buy the tickets to enter the Colloseum would be selling the extra entrance fee for the gladiators dens? I would also think the regular ticket to get into the Colloseum would automatically give the right to climb to the 3rd tier. If I see any more information I will post back here on this thread. Best regards.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Reservations for the underground areas and third tier tours have to be made by phone. The tour costs 8 Euro, in addition to the regular combo ticket at 12 Euro.

For the time being at least, the information is only in Italian:
http://www.pierreci.it/16114.aspx

Heck, the press conference was on Thursday, and Pierreci had the details in Italian up on Friday. I think they're doing pretty well.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 05:23 AM

Thanks loveitaly you have always been helpful to me. (remember the thread with what to wear?) LOL. I will be with a private tour guide and just one other couple. If you have to make reservations I shall look into this---I will take plenty of pictures.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 05:30 AM

LoveItaly - hi back to you. Everyone here is getting excited about our upcoming educational excursion. Thanks for discovering this opportunity and posting.

Zerlina - thank you so much for digging and finding out these costs. For 20 Euro per person (maybe even less for students) this destination sounds very promising. I am sure LoveItaly and I were thinking the admission prices and reservation process might have been included in the press release, as is often the case.

tC
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

You are sure welcome, teacherCanada. If I were you or your students I would be very excited also. And I look forward to your trip report after you all return home.

Many thanks from me also, Zerlina, for the additional information. 8 Euro for the additional tours is very reasonable.

Diann, "what to wear", oh yes I sure do! I will look forward to seeing your pictures.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM

bookmarking
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Grazie Love..I would love to see the Gladiators pits..What an interesting tour that would be!!
I hope to go back to Rome next year..
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Here is the link to a BudgetTravel that gives more details.

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettr...ale_for_u.html

tC
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM

I just returned from my nearly 3 week journey which included a 12 day cruise and the greek Islands, and of course Italy stops. I stayed several nights in Rome. I was so glad I went to the collosium the day I did for there was a strike of some sort and it was closed on the 29th October! It was not possible to go to the third tier, and the pits were also not open. The guide we had said little about it actually. I must say I visited many places in my trip, and Rome is up there as one of my favs for sure. What a fantastic place. Did the Vatican, fully, some castle where there are angles and walked across the bridge. I saw another awesome "different" place where there were many bones in an artisic fashion on dolce de vita street. My hotel room had a balcony and I could see the colloseum from the balcony. I also purchased a winter jacket at trevi fountatin store on the corner. (Beneton.?) I shall think of Trevi/rome everytime I wear it. Scarves and boots are what the people are wearing. It is what I saw mostly. Venice has a charm and is certainly different then any other place, but Rome just has it all for me. Also the Amalfi coast, Positano was another awesome place. Loved it! Just wanted to check back with you all. Now I want the name "loveitaly." (smile!)