Collette Tour Question

Search

Collette Tour Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Collette Tour Question

Collette tour questionWe are 2 ladies who have signed up with only a small deposit for the following tourBritish Landscapes featuring England, Scotland and Wales (London to Stratford-upon-Avon) - April 2020
Before more payments are made (and we would be out only our deposit if we cancel) I would like the Fodorites to reply: Yes, should have asked these questions before making the deposit; however, the offer for $98 deposit was time sensitive.
1. Has anyone done this tour, if so opinion?
2. Is the tour primarily bus with stops only for photo ops and not actually touring the area?
3. It seems that my friend went thru Tourradar to book this tour for us - anyone had problems with Tourradar?

Thank you for your replies.
ACDB
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 01:59 PM

If the description says "view" such as "View the Tower of London, Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace," I suspect you will be driving by in a bus.

If the description says "stop" such as "stopping in the 800-year-old university town of Cambridge en route," I suspect a brief photo opportunity.

If the description says "visit" or "tour," I believe you will actually go inside the sight.

Here's a link to the itinerary:

https://www.gocollette.com/en/tours/...ish-landscapes
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 02:34 PM

Wow, that looks bad--and I do tours these days. The trip covers a LOT of territory, and spends very little time actually seeing anything. Read the daily itinerary carefully. It would be nice if they told you how much time is bus time, I think it's excessive.

It looks like you only go to Wales to sleep there. Yes, it's in a castle, but a review on the site complained that they arrived too late to even tour the castle.

Last edited by elberko; Apr 25th, 2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 04:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That is one pants itinerary ('Pants' in Britspeak means 'not good' in spades)

You get to 'view' the Tower of London, Big Ben (which is under scaffolding), Parliament, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace - not setting foot in any of them. Then you get a grand total of one afternoon free in London to see/do anything else.

You drive from Edinburgh through the Lake District and end up in North Wales that evening. They do that just so they can factually say 'you will visit the Lake District'.

The only good thing I see is a private farewell dinner in Hall's Croft . . .
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 04:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
. . . If you only have that much time (8 days on the ground) -- why not fly in to London, spend 5 days there, take the train to Edinburgh, stay 3 days, fly home from there - and save money without sitting on a coach for many many hours almost every day.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 10:35 AM

janisj has got it right.