College student travelling for one week in Germany/Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In July, I will be spending 3 weeks in Osnabruck, Germany as part of a study abroad trip. A few friends and I have scheduled one week after our classes end to travel, as this will be the first visit for most of us to Europe. While we would have loved to have more time in Europe, budget and other commitments limited us.

Our travels will go a little like this: fly into Amsterdam, where we will spend two nights/days; take the train to Osnabruck for 3 weeks of classes; spend one week travelling before going back to Amsterdam to fly back to the US. We are currently trying to decide how we should spend that final week. Should we attempt to remain in Germany and get a more authentic feel for the country (by visiting small and large cities)? This would also allow for us to be closer to Amsterdam when the time came to leave. Or would it be better to attempt to visit a few larger cities in Europe? What cities if so? Again, budget is a consideration.

I have found that transportation via rail is more expensive than I thought. I considered renting a car to travel Germany. How affordable/feasible would that be for four 21 year olds?

And, we wanted to stay in hostels for their affordability, but we are completely lost as to what to do with our luggage, laptops, etc, during the days when we will be out exploring. Do we have any options as far as lodging? I have seen "unique" lodgings advertised (convents, castles, etc) and would love to take advantage of some of those.

At the heart of it all, we want an authentic, preferably non-touristy, European experience, given our limited time. Any help that allows us to achieve this is much appreciated!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM

Train travel need not be so impossibly expensive in Germany. Book well in advance on www.bahn.de, and you'll get many one way journeys for €29. For one week, why not buy a rail pass? For €146 you will get a whole week of unlimited travel on Germany's magnificent trains. Or €175 if you are aged 27 or more. Details at http://webhe.eu/pass
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
hsv

I would user the weekends for:

1. trip to Hamburg (second largest city in Germany, fun tours of scenic port, sailing on a lake in the city center etc., some of the best nightlife in Germany, head for bars in Schanzenviertel and afterwards a club or bar in walking distance somewhere around Reeperbahn). Stop off in the suburb of Bremen. Bremen's old town is o.k., otherwise it's not exciting, but it definitely tops the hell-hole of Osnabrueck.

2. Go to Munich for a weekend to get your fix of what consensus appears to think is German, i.e. Lederhosen, strange dialect, beer gardens and oom-pah-pah folklore along with some orderly city life and beautiful surroundings.

For the remaining week, I'd either go to Berlin and spend 4 - 5 days there - pretty cool city, esp. for students with contrained budgets as it's dirt cheap and offers lots to see and do, also in the environs (Potsdam) - and devote the remainder of the time to somewhere along the way (although there is not much apart fom visually horrible Hannover. Probably Quedlinburg, although I would rather stop there, but not stay) - or I would devote a week to London, UK capital and one of the epitomes of cool - but definitely pricier than Berlin.

Cars woud be very affordable. Europcar often offers student discounts over the weekend. If you rent a car in Osnabrueck, mind your speed - the city council appears to consist of speed-nazis who have set up a fair share of disguised speed traps.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:59 AM

I think the answer to "where should we go?" depends on what you want to see. With an extra week, you could certainly spend it all in Germany, getting a better feel for the rest of that country. You've gotten good advice there. You could also go somewhere else. Check whichbudget.com to see flights back to Amsterdam - that may be faster and cheaper than the train, depending on what city and airline you choose and how early you book.

One possibility would be to finish up in Osnabrueck (let's say on a Friday), leave on Saturday for Rome/London/Barcelona/wherever for 4-5 days, then fly back to Amsterdam to head home. If you have a few more days than that, you could either split the time between two cities (keeping in mind time to get between them and then back to Amsterdam), or still stay in one city but pick one where there are plenty of day trips available. It's hard to recommend which cities you should visit without knowing much about you - London is my favorite (and is doable on a budget, despite the rumors otherwise), but others love Rome or Paris or Barcelona or... you get the idea. What are your interests?

As far as what to do with your stuff while you're exploring, every hostel I've stayed in has had lockers of some sort. You will probably need to bring your own lock. If you want to put your laptop somewhere else, sometimes the front desk will keep your valuables up there, but you'll have to check with the specific hostel.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:44 AM
hsv

The reason why I suggested to spend the additional week in Germany is that I am afraid Germany will leave a pretty bad impression if any such impression would be based on Osnabrueck.

As Osnabrueck already qualifies as a small town, I recommend to spend some time in decent cities. By covering Munich, Hamburg and Berlin, one should get a fairly rounded impression of the vast cultural differences - and some of the similarities - within Germany.

I agree that reaching out to other destinations withiun Europe could be fun, too, though. That's why I suggested London.

I could also imagine a road trip to Copenhagen (to CPH via Puttgarden-Roedby ferry, return via Gedser-Rostock ferry) and doing Hamburg and Berlin as stopovers. In that case I'd dedicate one weekend trip to the wine-growing regions around Frankfurt (Rheingau, Rheinhessen and Mosel in combination with a stop in Cologne for the cathedral).

Paris isn't out of the way either and could be combined with stops in Ghent or Bruges.

As a tendency, though, Germany happens to be rather budget friendly - as opposed to London, Paris or Copenhagen. Options are manifold.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your great suggestions. My personal interests when I travel are history, art and architecture, some museums, trying local food.. I can skip on shopping unless its an experience unique to that place. With those interests, I know that many destinations in Europe would satisfy me. My mother lived for some time in Italy, and I have taken Italian for 2 years, so I have somewhat of an interest there. Also, a guy in my group has mentioned Switzerland as a potential place of interest. As you can see though, we are very open to cities.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM

You're right - I think you could go just about anywhere and fit those interests. I would look through guidebooks, do some internet searches, do whatever you need to to get an idea of where, specifically, you and your friends find interesting. I'm of the belief that you can visit almost anywhere on a budget - some places are just easier than others. Once you figure out where you want to go, people here can be very helpful with suggestions about that. You might also try the Thorntree forum at Lonely Planet; it tends to attract more people staying in hostels and on a smaller budget.

The one mistake I would strongly advise against is trying to cram three or four cities into that one week. If you want to really see things, I'd do two places at most - maybe three if an overnight stop is on the way.