Coimbra Hotel - which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2022, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’ll be in Coimbra for 3 nights in May and will have a car. I’ve got reservations at Hotel Oslo (a superior room with balcony, more convenient, less charm) or a standard room (old section) at Quinta Das Lagrimas (across the river, sits within a garden, more charm, less convenient). Both have parking - Oslo has a garage, the Quinta has larger grounds for parking. Both seem to get good reviews for staff. I have several reservations at attractive properties elsewhere so charm is not essential but it’s nice to have.

Is the Quinta worth the inconvenience of being across the river? Or is Hotel Oslo a good, solid place to stay and is the convenience important?

Last edited by progol; Mar 12th, 2022 at 06:23 AM.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 08:19 AM

Hi progol,
We loved our stay at the romantic Quinta das Lagrimas (tragic love story of Pedro e Inés). We had always wanted to stay there and since we had our friends with us, we knew they would love it too. They enjoy the unique places that I find for them (I do the planning). And my BFF and I enjoyed the pools (she, the Polar Bear, enjoyed the outdoor one while I, the wimp, enjoyed the indoor heated one in the spa wing.
We were celebrating a special GTG, so we splurged for dinner one night in their lovely As Arcadas restaurant.
The gardens are extensive, and the service is great plus the advantage of the very easy parking and in and out. We didn't find it inconvenient. We took our own car out to the Roman ruins of Conimbriga, and the next morning took a taxi up to the University for our tour and made our walk down slowly, doing all our other sightseeing, with lunch in town and finally, at the end of the day we walked back to the Quinta over the bridge.

We stayed in the spa wing but would have preferred to be in the historic building for the atmosphere. The Quinta's charm factor reeled us in. They also have an excellent value menu for lunch at the casual Pedro e Inés. The ample breakfast buffet was included in our senior rate. I would return in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maribel! You’ve convinced me. It’s Quinta das Lagrimas! Charm and beauty wins!
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 08:38 AM

Glad I convinced you! I hope it will be memorable!
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I’m sure it will be and driving in and out with less stress will be a pleasure!

I’m not quite at the fine tuning stage of planning but it sure does feel good to get excited about the trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 02:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We also loved staying at La Quinta de las Lagrimas! You will be very happy with this choice Progol. We had seen the tombs of King Pedro and his Inés in Alcobaça and knew their" unique" love story which the Quinta refers to in their decor. The hotel was not inconveniently located. Dinners there were very special. I highly recommend this historic Quinta for your stay; we were in the historic wing.
One day during our stay, we asked the concierge about the famous pork of this area, leitao, and we were sent to a nearby road outside of Coimbra, very non descriptive, where there was a line of these special but very ordinary looking "pork restaurants,leitão." We pulled into one of them and the pork was incredibly delicious..

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Mar 12th, 2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, HappyTrvlr! I had already come to a decision but your post clinches it! And I will definitely look into the leitao - that’s the kind of food I know we will love. Thank you.