Golf tour of Ireland

Old Mar 12th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Golf tour of Ireland

We’ve been to Ireland 3 times.
Now my husband and friends want to do a golf tour in Western Ireland. I see many companies
who offer this.
Any comments on doing this type of tour would be very helpful. Price open.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there a reason they specifically want an organized/commercial tour? Planning a trip including a car, rounds of golf and hotel stays isn't that much different than planning without the golf. Only difference really, is if they plan on playing the biggies like Royal Port Rush or Royal County Down (both in NI) or maybe Ballybunion or Waterville, I'd book the tee times before the rest of the land arrangements.

Pre-arranged Golf tours can often be eye wateringly expensive.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

I guess they are all busy and want an easy planned week or so of golf.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The only golf trips I've been involved with personally - 4 X in Scotland and once years ago in Ireland - I did all the planning (even though I wasn't playing myself) and arranged rounds @ St Andrews, Carnoustie, Prestwick, Troon, Dornoch, etc in Scotland and as I recall Ballybinion and Royal County Down (not 100% sure which others)

So I can't help much with tour companies. But I'm sure there are plenty listed in golf magazines and golf sites like the Golf Channel etc. Or some of their friends or club members may have used a tour company they can recommend. I know around here some of the course pros have connections with tour companies.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

janisj…..thanks for the suggestions. Good idea to ask the pro at their club.

There are many tours listed when you Google it. I just thought maybe a Fodorite or two would list their experience with some such tour.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago, like in the 1990's before the Internet offered as many travel options as now, I booked what I called "The Prodigal Son Tour" trip to Ireland with my mother through an agency which was absolutely lovely. They even got us a couple nights at Ballymaloe House which at the time usually required reservations almost a year in advance. Great itinerary, excellent service and good value for money. A couple years ago my niece used the same company to plan a family visit to Ireland and reported similar delight with their services. They do offer a golf option on their page for Destinations Ireland and Beyond, would be worth a look.
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Seamus…..thanks, will definitely check it out