Search

Coffee in Spain

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffee in Spain

I know different countries prefer their coffee different ways. I usually think it is too strong. How do you ask for "American" coffee (black or with cream/milk) in Spain?
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Cafe con Leche is delicious. It is made of hot milk and coffee. The very often put the hot milk on the table for you if you have several people.

I have no idea what cafe americano is, they do hear that there though, I suspect it is diluted coffee, or just extra water.

I LOVE the coffee in Spain and "cafe solo" (black cofee) is some how strong without the bitterness....delish!

Have a great trip.
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:17 AM

Cafe con leche, better than any coffee I've had in the US, each one made individually in a Cappucino machine, better than Starbucks. One of the things I miss about Spain.
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:33 AM

I found these notes, hope they help.

Coffee 
The Spanish love strong coffee at all hours and there are many options.

Café solo is black coffee much like espresso.
Café con leche is coffee with hot milk, about half of each.
Café cortado is coffee with just a bit of hot milk.
Café manchado is hot milk with a bit of coffee.
Café con hielo is iced coffee, hot coffee served with a glass of ice.
Carajillo is coffee that is spiked with brandy or whiskey.

Decaffinated coffee is referred to as café descafeinado.
You may be asked if "de sobre" is acceptable which refers to a sachet or bag of decaf. While café estilo Americano may be offered it may just really be watered down coffee.

Tea 
Hot tea is readily available and served in a variety of ways, but usually the Spaniards drink it black. Té negro (black tea), manzanilla (chamomile tea), menta (Mint ) are common varieties. Iced tea is not a common drink in Spain however if you do manage it, will likely be served similarly to iced coffee, served hot and accompanied with a glass of ice.

Chocolate (chocolate) is a very popular drink after a night on the town or for breakfast. Spanish hot chocolate is very thick and always accompanies churros. There are some brands like Cola Cao that are thinner.
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM

Ask for "un americano", and that's it.
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM

Having a café con leche in Spain is like you died and went to Heaven! It is a treat.
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:42 AM

I have ordered chocolate during the day; it was served without churros. The Madrid cafe /restaurant had a list of different chocolates to choose from... fantastic.
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Funny Joslele, hope all is well? Frankly the coffee is just the tip of the iceberg, as you well know.
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM

IMHO coffee in the US is usually way too weak - esp if you add milk or cream - yet is still somehow bitter. In much of the world coffee is more substantial - but not bitter (I suspect better beans that are not over-roasted and are ground daily.) I would ask for extra hot water with your coffee if you like it very weak.
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Ask for "un americano", and that's it.

But be careful, My wife did and wound up with me.

I do not drink coffee but my wife does and loves Spanish coffee not only because of its srtength but because of the flavor.

I always thought un cortado was also smaller in size.

I am, however, not a big fan of the chocolate that accompanies churros. I find it a bit coarse.
Old May 29th, 2010, 12:24 PM

Un cortado is an expresso, (small cup) with a tad milk.

Depending on the americano coffee you are given, (still too strong for many) the above suggestion of additional agua caliente is a good idea.

Un americano con POCO cafe, y mucho agua , por favor.

But do try café con leche (if you drink coffee at home with cream or milk). It is lovely. Do not be afraid to ask for more leche if you still find it too strong.

"light/weak" café con leche would be "cafe con leche, corto ( little) de café, por favor".
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Just go to a Starbucks when you are in say Madrid.
I must be living the dream having all of this Spanish coffee around me everyday!
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM

cafe con leche is the best coffee I can imagine... a strong coffee with hot milk. Perfect.
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Just a bit of a correction... a café americano is not american-style drip coffee or, generally, watered down Spanish coffee. It's a long pull, which means it's an espresso with roughly twice as much water pushed through. It's still quite strong with an espresso flavor. A (café) mediano is halfway between a café americano and a café solo (an espresso). A cortado is café solo with a small amount of milk. A café con leche is an espresso with large amount of milk--usually only for breakfast, but you can order it anytime. You an always specify the type of cup or glass you want it served in and also the temperature of the milk (fría, templada, caliente).

You might like café con hielo... iced coffee. It seems like a better way to water it down.
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:43 AM

Un americano..If it's not watered down Spanish coffee.. I don't now what it is?.

"Café ( any type) del tiempo" will be brought to you with a glass of ice.. be prepared for an extra 10-20 more for the ice in many places.

If you do go to Starbucks be even more careful of your belongings there as it is a favorite place for professional thieves. They lounge around and just wait for you to relax. I have heard of too many Starbucks robbery stories.

Also, some regions seem to use a different sized cup for certain coffees.. if you want a BIG cup you might need to specify ( or even be asked) "de desayuno" to get it.I live here and have for 40 years, and have still been surprised at how some things one takes for granted ( a café con leche cup size) can change as you go across regional borders!

This coffee question is similar to how i need to teach my USA bound traveling students how to ask for "Fried eggs".

Sounds simple. In Spain, a fried egg is a fried egg.

But in the states, when they are asked how they want their eggs fried.. it can cause total perplexity if they have not been informed previously of the options!
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Ha! true. The eggs thing that is. I am still learning it.

As for Starbucks in Spain? Why would anyone go there with all the wonderful tasing coffee available?

Better yet a cafe con leche or cafe solo with little pastry from Mallorquina gazing out from the upper balcony at the passerby...
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Starbucks IS popular, even with locals, for the atmosphere in their cafés. The sofas, the lounge feeling.. not found anywhere else. i have not been to one here yet.. but did have an interesting pumpkin latte or similar drink one Thanksgiving in Cincinnati I thought was ALMOST worth the three bucks it cost.
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM

Starbucks was our haven in Seville because of the air conditioning.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:00 AM

I feel the same about Starbucks, but if someone wants the flavour of home...I just thought!!!
They seem to be quite busy in Madrid. But I did not go an do a survey of their customers.
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:25 AM

How do you ask for "American" coffee (black or with cream/milk) in Spain?

"Un cafe muy flojo, sin sabor...como el agua de la lavavajilla"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -