Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

cocofromdijon: Advice for the day tripper?

May 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Bonjour--

Ms.Bear and I are day-tripping to Dijon from Paris later this week. Would you (or someone else with knowledge of Dijon) care to propose an interesting way to use our limited time in Dijon?

Merci!
May 11th, 2008, 12:29 AM

You might want to look at that area on our website. We had one of our best meals of our 2 years traveling Europe in Dijon.

http://www.soultravelers3.com

( running out now, so do not have time to look it up..it is under France section so click on that and look for Burgundy posts).
May 11th, 2008, 01:44 AM

We spent a day in Dijon in Sept 2006 and just LOVED it! Going back with the in-laws this Sept.

A great way to spend the day and see the sights is the Owl Tour. YOu buy the map/information guide at the tourist office right by the train station. Then you just follow the little owls that are set into the pavement and it takes you on a great walk around most of the sights and the town. I think the map cost us 2 euro in 2006.
May 11th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Bonjour!
I always suggest to follow the Owl's trail if you have a limited time so you won't miss the nicest sites.

Go to one of the tourist office (between the train station and Place Darcy or in the Ducal palace, entrance rue des Forges)ask for the brochure (2,5&euroand follow the trail at your own pace. http://www.dijon-tourism.com/uk/dijo...s_chouette.htm
My guests did the Flavour and Spices tour this week and they loved it (4,5€ per pers)
http://www.dijon-tourism.com/uk/dijo...s_planning.htm
If you are there on Thursday, Friday or Saturday, do not miss the food market in the morning.
There is also the Annual antique show at the exhibition hall :
http://www.leportaildesantiquaires.c...=1823&idl=1824
So much to do in one day only!
Welcome and enjoy!

WTnow I think I saw the video with your lovely daughter playing violin all around the world, fantastic!
May 11th, 2008, 01:49 AM

Welcome back Jamikins!
May 11th, 2008, 01:54 AM

I forgot, Magnin museum (rue des Bons enfants)is free until end of June, don't miss it!
http://www.musee-magnin.fr/

May 11th, 2008, 02:21 AM

Thanks Coco...we thought Dijon was so fantastic...cant wait to see it again!! Any great lunch restaurants you could recommend?

Sorry to jump on your thread d_claude...
May 13th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Jamikins what is your budget?
I'll have a look at the "suggestion book" my guests wrote at the apart and let you know (after Thursday)
Meanwhile you can always have a look at http://www.fra.cityvox.fr/restaurants_dijon/Preferes
to see the Dijonnais' favourite restaurants.
We tried La Ruelle 2 weeks ago for dinner and we liked it a lot. Le Bistrot des Halles has also good comments in general. And I know my guests liked La Petite Flamande (traditional dishes)rue des Bons Enfants (Musée Magnin street)
May 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM

Thanks Coco...we dont really have a budget, we like good food and are willing to pay for it...but likely want to keep it around 30 euro each...will check out what you suggested!!

Thanks
May 15th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Here are some of the comments I found in the note book :

Le Bistrot des halles (10 rue Bannelier around les Halles) for a classic feel french bistrot, with a large open air eating area-great food. An opportunity to dress up a little.

Les moules Zola (3 place Emile Zola) For a classic and cheap meal of Mussels+french fries, les moules Zola is great fun. We had the Marinières which is a simple onion+white wine broth-the mussels were fresh and abundant-and they do home delivery!(May 2007)

Café le Mayence rue des forges (near the tourist office) Right behind the Hoteld de Ville, this is a classic lunchtime eatery, for a real everyday lunch. All of the locals chatting amongst each other on on their lunch breaks. Good food too!
Chez Léon (quite near the market, rue de Godrans) A charming small bistro. We were served by m.Leon himself, a very congenial fellow. Seems to be patronized by locals-not a word of English seen or heard. Betweenthe three of us we had ewcellent beef with morel sauce, pan fried scallops and lamb with wonderfully creamy mashed potatoes. Plats about 20€ each

Les Oenophiles at hotel Philippe le Bon rue Ste Anne, beautiful stone-walled dining room
Great food+wine+service
3 different menus to choose from (39, 44 and ?euros) (June 2007 prices)
Stephane Derbord at hotel Wilson on place Wilson
One Michelin Star, fantastic restaurant, not cheap-menu starts from 49euro, huge wine list, outstanding food+service

For a good atmostphere and friendly service, go to Brasserie du Theatre. The brasserie is a left turn from the rear door and became our “local” restaurant during our stay at myhomeindijon. Make sure you ask for Fred who is a great waiter! (Aug 2007)

Fantastic steaks at Gril Laure (8 place St Benigne) pizzas looked great too, and they’re open Sunday nights. (April 08)

La Cantine for lunch/Dinner (40 rue Amiral Roussin) the scallops and duck are wonderful (yesterday)
May 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Thank you so much Coco!!!