Clueless about Como

Search

Clueless about Como

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clueless about Como

We are planning to go to Lake Come for 2 days after Venice and before we fly out of Milan Malpensa. The question is where to stay with such limited time. Is Bellagio too far? Should we just stay in Como to reduce travel time? We will be cele\brating our son's 14th birthday there and hydrofoils and lake activities sounded fun!
What do you think?
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Hello beli:

You might enjoy the hydrofoil to Bellagio, the Hotel Belvedere and the boat trip back to Como, then the train to Milan Central. IMO, Bellagio is a better place to spend a day on Lake Como than is the town of Como. With only two days, however, you need to consult the boat/train schedules. Gradyghost
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gradyghost,
Now, I just have to find a hotel with available rooms. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Metropole Bellagio? When you need 2 rooms for travelling with 2 kids everything gets even more expensive!
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time is your flight out of Malpensa?

I would train from Venice to Milano Centrale, then switch to a train to Varenna-Esino. Stay in either Varenna or Bellagio. For a nice apartment (cheaper than a hotel) in the middle of Bellagio, go to www.residencelalimonera.com. Otherwise, I can recommend the du Lac in Varenna and the Florence in Bellagio, but that's without knowing your budget.

The time of your Malpensa flight will determine how you get there, so let us know that info. We'll tell you your options.

Old May 15th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Our flight leaves at 6:55 in the evening. I would like to keep the cost of the rooms under $400/nt. for the four of us. I will try the link you provided for accommodations, thanks.
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi again. Look also at www.bellagio.co.nz for more info on lodging options in Bellagio, shopping, activities, etc. But also consider Varenna which is only 15 minutes away by ferry, charming and, in the opinion of some, less touristy than Bellagio.

For an early evening flight out of Malpensa, I would take a ferry from Bellagio to Como and then train to Malpensa. Take the train from Como to Saronno and change to the Malpensa Express train. Both trains run twice an hour, and the schedules are coordinated so that the connection in Saronno is only 7-10 minutes which is more than enough time. You just need to change tracks in a small station. The entire train journey would take less than two hours.

The Bellagio website I mentioned also includes links to schedules for trains, ferries and the Malpensa shuttle bus if you'd rather do that. FYI, the Como to Saronno train is a Ferrovie Nord train and not Trenitalia.

You haven't said when you're going....?