10 Days in Italy Tuscany and the Amalfi

Old May 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 Days in Italy Tuscany and the Amalfi

I am about to embark on a trip to Italy for 12 days. The two places that I really want to go to are Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast. I have been to all the major cities in Italy and wish to explore some of the less busy places. I will be renting a car with my friend. Here is our itinerary. Are there places we are missing? Or is this too ambitious for such a short time? Any feedback would be great!!!

(17) Fly Out
(18) Day 1: Arrive to Pisa Evening Pick up Car Drive to Lucca (Stay in Lucca)
(19) Day 2: Explore Lucca Possible exploration to Prato (Stay in Lucca)
(20) Day 3: Driving Tour 1utside Florence to Chianti to San
Gimingiano (Stay in San Gimingiano
(21) Day 4: Driving Tour 2: Vineyards
(22) Day 5: Driving Tour to Siena/Explore Siena
(23) Day 6: Drive to Coast stopping along way in Monetpulicano and
Monterrigginoni the break for coast Positano(4 hours) (Stay in
Positano)
(24) Day 7: Explore Positano/Boat trip around island (Stay in Positano)
(25) Day 8: Driving tour of coast line (Stay in Positano)
(26) Day 9: Pompeii and Paestum (Stay in Positano)
(27) Day 10: Capri (Stay in Capri)
(28) Day 11: Capri
(29) Day 12: Return from Capri Drive to Rome Fly Out
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Well you certainly are not going to avoid the "busy places." Most of these are major tourist spots.

I would not attempt Paestum and Pompeii on the same day. I think you are covering far too much ground with limited time.

And planning to go from Capri to Rome to catch a flight....hmmmm. Not to the US, I hope.

Which island are you planning to circle from Positano..Capri??
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Hi V,

I have the same thoughts as ekscrunchy. Pompeii and Paestum in the same day is a very bad idea.

If you want to "circle the island", do that while you are staying on Capri. I also do not think trying to leave Capri and fly out of Rome all in one day is going to go well.

Driving from Tuscany to Positano will take most of your day. No time to stop in Montepulciano.

When are you going? You're going to need reservations in most of your planned towns.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Are you planning on bring the car to Capri? If not, where are you going to park it?

Agree about Paestum and Pompeii. On the other hand San Gimignano and Siena are very close to one another. Did you mean to overnight in Siena on the night of the 22nd?

When are you planning to make this trip?
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Hello vscott --

It looks like you have a pretty great trip coming up. I'd definitely recommend Montalcino in Tuscany, as well as Pienza. They're lovely towns with great character. You might even consider shifting to staying in one of these towns (rather than San Gim.) to explore more of southern Tuscany.

As far as the Amalfi Coast goes, I stayed in Positano for 4 nights two summers ago and have an extensive trip report about it if you'd like some suggestions. Ravello is not to be missed. =)

Also, I agree with the above posters. Leaving Capri to get back to Rome to fly out is too much in one day. Maybe consider just day-tripping to Capri from Positano?

Enjoy!
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. I will be heading there next month. It seems as though staying in smaller towns in Tuscany would be a better bet to get more of a small town feel.
I will also rethink the departure from Rome since getting from the coast there in one day won't work.
We are not taking the car to capri.
What are the best wineries in tuscany to take a tour and tasting?
What town would be fun to stay at in Tuscany?
Is Lucca worth a whole day?
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM

With the risk of being repetitive to other members of this message board, I'd highly recommend Fattoria dei Barbi outside Montalcino for a wine tasting and tour. It was probably the highlight of our two trips to Italy. Not only is it about the Brunello, but the most delicious food in the Taverna on the property and an interesting museum about the history of the area and wine making. We liked our visit so much, we plan to return this year.