Search

Clubs in London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubs in London

I will be celebrating my 21st birthday shortly after I arrive in London this week. Can anyone recommend a fun and exciting hip dance club for Saturday. I really want a night to remember with my friends. I have been doing a lot of research but there are so many clubs in London that I don't know which one to choose! I would prefer to go to one that is popular with the locals as opposed to tourists. It would be wonderful if the club was not far from Soho Square where I will be staying, but it is still fine if it isn't. Does anyone know anything about the following clubs/venues: Subterania, Ministry of Sound, The Rex, Underworld, Astoria, Metro Club (Saturday night is called Blow-up)?

Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:21 PM

To be honest, the likelihood is that the answers you get on this board will be at least a week out of date. And a week is an awfully long time in clubland.

And anyway it depends on what you're into - House, Techno, Garage, R+B, Breaks, Drum'n'Bass, Retro, Indie or whatever they've invented in the past five minutes.

Time Out's reviews are close to being the most comprehensive (if you havent't bought a copy before leaving home, get one at the airport as soon as you get off the plane). Or the Metro section of each Thursday's Evening Standard (make sure you pick it up, as it's physically separate from the main paper, and most of us don't bother so vendors never remind you)is usually a couple of days more up to date
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 01:45 AM

Hi Dyann -

Flanner's got the 2 best sources, the weekly Time Out (comes out on Wednesdays) & the Thursday evening paper, the Evening Standard magazine.

Saturday is a huge clubbing night & I'd say go for something Time Out recommends, depending on what sort of music you feel like on the night.

Most likely you'll end up in the East End or even Notting Hill Gate - these are still easy to nightbus home to W1, even at 4 or 5am. However do not go south of the river (e.g., Brixton) - not fun getting back north that time of the morning IMO.

Have fun previewing the beers before the big night!!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:38 AM

First, don't go on a Saturday, these nights have lots of "schoolkids", and are never, ever as good as a week night. Monday-Wednesday are the best days to go on.

If you want large and a club that's been on the scene for year Cafe de Paris. Or a more contemporary one is China White, which is hell on a Saturday night, but excellent during the week. Roof Gardens, Kensington are very good too.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for the good information! I will definately check out Time Out or Thursday's Evening Standard and then go from there from the advise you have given me.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 04:48 AM

M Kingdom

The Roof Gardens is a members only club and from what I remember is only open on Thursday and Saturday nights. How do you go there Monday - Wednesday? Or do you gate crash private parties?

ChinaWhite has a strict door policy - lots of nazis with clibboards outside telling lots of people they are dressed inappropriately. I have never met Dyann but in all liklihood, a 21 year old tourist is unlikely to get in.

It is years since I went to Cafe de Paris so I won't comment on that.

But Dyann, my advice is get Metro from the Evening Standard and choose from there. Failinmg thaty use Time Out but i don't think it is as good.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Re UKUKUKUKUK

I have no need to gatecrash parties, always on a guest list.

Also 57 Jermyn St might be worth considering.

Mayfair club I doubt will let you in.

Perhaps the thing that is more your scene would be the clubs Hoxton/Clerkenwell way they're "Trendy" more urban industrial chic, not so smart and more reasonably priced drinks.

Or on the viewlondon.co.uk web-site there is a facility to get you onto some guest lists as well as virtually every club in London, have fun!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Hey again D -

You're getting some mixed advice here : )

Personally there's no way I'd wait in line for Chinawhite or the KRGardens, so not my scene. You can get more of a flavor for what's out there at

http://www.clubinlondon.co.uk/

Again, HTH and *rock on*!!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:51 AM

I agree perhaps someone would not want the hassle of a g/l on a normal evening out, but for a 21st?

If you stay at a good hotel the concierge should manage to get you on a guest list!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 10:59 AM

OK, another option would be DJ bars. You can actually have a conversation, and boogie or chill when you want.

Head to Charterhouse St EC1 for these:
http://www.lifthouse.co.uk/
http://www.itchylondon.co.uk/venues/59.html
http://www.charterhousebar.co.uk/
http://www.fabriclondon.com/

Hope you're checkin' this thread from snowy London! Have fun!!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Grab a copy of Time Out London (they usually carry it at Borders and Barnes and Noble) before you leave. It's got the up-to-date club listings and a descr. of each club, its crowd and typical age range.