Clothing for summer travel

Mar 7th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Suzanne

Clothing for summer travel

My husband and I are planning to visit Paris this summer. This will be my first trip to Europe. I am wondering what clothes to pack for sightseeing, and dinners. I am interested in suggestions for multi-use pieces so I don't pack too much. I also would appreciate any info. on "tried and true" comfortable shoes! (for both walking, and dress) Seems I have purchased what were supposed to be comfortable shoes for travel in the past, only to end up with blisters the first day. It sure spoils part of a trip when you have to walk on sore, tender feet. Any particular stores, or websites that anyone has found to be good for purchasing travel clothes, or shoes would be helpful. Thanks!

Mar 7th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Ellen

The problem with recommendations of specific brands of shoes is that each company uses its own lasts, and every one is slightly different -- so the shoe that fits me perfectly might be a disaster for you.

BUT one thing everyone can agree on is that you don't take NEW shoes on a trip. Take some that you've worn regularly for at least a week or two, so they're broken in for your foot and you don't get blisters from wearing them too much before they're really "yours." Since you're blister-prone, take along some "moleskin" patches (I believe that Dr. Scholl et al. make them) to put on trouble spots as a preventatative.

Pack a black skirt, a pair of black pants, a black cardigan or light jacket for evenings, and 3 or 4 tops. More socks and undies than you think you'll need. Everything in fabrics or knits that dry quickly -- no cotton!

Mar 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
jane

As recommended above, black sandals, black pants, black cardigan, basic black dress, and black and white tshirts (casual and more dressy) will get you a long way. The subject of shoes has been discussed extensively on this board and some will recommend expensive brands but I have found that easy spirit stores generally have very comfortable and reasonably priced options that are okay looking as well.

Mar 8th, 2002, 08:27 AM
elaine

just as a differing opinion from jane, I've bought Easy Spririts and ended up throwing them out because they hurt my feet in every conceivable way. Which goes back to Ellen's comment that all shoes and feet are different and you need to try them on. As said, do a search here on "shoes" and you'll find countless comments. My own favorite for my finicky feet is Mephisto, but they are indeed expensive. And they make different styles, some of which felt good and some of which didn't. I don't recommend buying shoes from a website unless you've tried them on somwhere first. And also as Ellen said, even if you buy the most comfortable shoes
(or even sneakers) in the world, wear them around home for several days and with different kinds of socks or stockings before taking them on a trip.

Mar 8th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Merilee

Hi Suzanne...I have ordered items from Travelsmith.com for trips and I have never been disappointed...they sell very good quality clothing that is fashionable at a reasonable price...they also sell many other items that cater to travelers...I would also like to suggest that you stick to one basic color scheme such as black and mix and match pieces you can wear casually or dress up...I think black works well because it complements the lighter colors people like to wear during spring and summer...accessories such as belts, scarves and costume jewelry go a long way in creating a look and they don't take up much room.

Mar 8th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Beth

I also would recommend taking different layering options. You don't say exactly when you are visiting Paris this summer, but we were there last June, and it was quite cool (in the high 50's low 60's) several days, and then warm and sunny several other days. As for shoes, I love Clarke's -- although they're a bit expensive, they're worth it.

Mar 8th, 2002, 10:13 AM
rita

I'm curious here . . . am I the only one to travel in the summer with a suitcase full of linen and cotton? I find the natural fabrics allow the heat to escape easier than synthetic ones. As for the dreaded wrinkles I find that if you hang the clothes up most of the wrinkles fall out and what doesn't, fits right in after a few minutes of wear.

I have never purchased "special travel fabrics" as my philosophy is . . . "if I don't wear it at home why would I want to wear it on vacation". As for colours I agree with the previous posters, black and a bit of neutral colour (like tan). On the top -- white t-shirts and a few colour ones to mix in. No shorts though, they always mark you as a tourist in Europe. Take skirts, lightweight pants (capri) and dresses instead.

Mar 8th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Ellen

Rita, actually I agree with you, even though earlier I said "no cotton." What I really recommend against is heavy cottons that take forever to dry -- jeans, sweaters, heavy t-shirts, etc. Last summer I found a pair of lightweight linen/rayon pants that managed to combine the best features of each fabric, and wore them almost every day during a 3-week trip to London.

Mar 8th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Sue

www.chicos.com - check out the travel clothes. I wear them all year round to work and for play. They roll up into small packages and do not shrink or wrinkle or fade.

I bought a pair of black Merrell clogs to wear to Paris for day and they feel fabulous. I also have a pair of Donald Pliner mules to wear at night.

I buy a bunch of cheap underwear and throw them away as I go so there is more room in my suitcase for souvenirs at the end. Sounds wasteful I know...

Search this Thread