Train from Paris to Augsburg

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Tracy

Train from Paris to Augsburg

My family and I will be taking an overnight train from Paris to Augsburg, Germany. Do you have suggestions regarding the most cost effective way to do this? Do I purchase tickets in the US before I go, or wait until I am there? Thanks!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:24 PM
jahoulih

The best way, I think, is to buy through www.sncf.com (French Rail). You can buy the tickets over the internet and then pick them up at the train station in Paris.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Rex

Jahoulih's answer is accurate enough, and terse (more terse than I ever am).

I'm actually going to plagiarize myself (from just yesterday) on this one - - with a few little edits.

From the thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1351534

"Geneva to Brussels"

====================================

Hi, and welcome to Fodors' Europe forum!

Don't mean to sound condescending to address you as (apparently) a newcomer, but it IS a newcomer's question - - not that there's anything wrong with that.

You'll probably want to learn your way around the www.raileurope.com website (click on "Search our database of fares & schedules.") - - but I don't advise actually buying any tickets there. There's a hefty mark-up.

It's an eight-hour trip, leaving at 07:49 (a.m.); it is a direct train, and a reasonably priced one at 96.40 EUR, 2nd class, one way (source - - www.sncf.com as jahoulih suggested). The website www.railsaver.com - - often good for price comparisons, says it will be 98 USD. It's usually pretty accurate, if you don't want to look on the authentic web sites of the individual country or countries.

If you want to get "into it" even more, the websites for the rail companies of each country can be found at:

http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/misc/timetabl.html (note no "www")

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Sue

I just recently found this information from Diana Gould, and I am posting her message verbatim (not only that, I am going to try it soon--as soon as I am sure of my travel dates).

"Message: I just purchased tickets on an English line through the French Rail sncf.I paid for the phone call, charged the tickets and they will be sent to my US address in 15 days. Got a discount for booking ahead. The hours are 7am to 10pm French time and the number is 011-33-892353539. You always get a discount and assured seat if you book ahead."

How great to have your tickets before you leave, and to be able to book while looking at schedules on your computer (I'll use the http://bahn.hafas.de site since it is so easy.) I'll also check the prices on the sncf site ahead of time to make sure it's the real deal. I'll let you know the results.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 12:15 PM
ttt

to the top