Search

clothing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Liz

clothing

I am about to travel to Italy - specifically - Rome, Florence and Venice - what clothing suggestions do you have for a woman - are shorts unacceptable as I have heard?

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Book Chick

Liz, <BR>Yes, shorts are unacceptable. I had a series of cotton skirts I wore without hosiery of any kind. This was both cool (temps will be toasty) and socially acceptable. "At home" (I lived in a villa with other non-Italian students)in the confines of our residence, I dressed as I liked. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>BC

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:56 AM
ellie

While you probably ought to pack a couple of pairs of shorts for hanging around the hotel, etc., you'll find very few locals wearing shorts in the cities you mention. Expect the weather to be good and hot. I rely on longish, light weight cotton skirts and solid color tee shirts or loose fitting, but not too bare, summer dresses and a pair of comfy sandals that dont look too "beachy" when I find myself in Italy in the summer. I also stick to basically black, tan and white outfits - but that's what I wear at home all the time as well! Whatever you wear - have a wonderful trip...I am very envious!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 09:08 AM
amg

Liz, <BR> <BR>Wear what you will be the most cool in -it will be very hot. You will see shorts on tourists mostly from Northern Europe and the US. But remember you can not wear shorts in the Vatican or St Marks. They do not make exceptions, no bare sholders or knees aloud. One friend had on a skirt that touched her knees, she had to untuck her shirt an pull her skirt down to cover her knees to get into the Vatican. It is not worth going all that way and not being able to get in. I always bring on one light weight longer skirt for church days. They are cooler then pants or capries and pack easily. <BR>Have fun. Italy is soooo fun! <BR>Aileen

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Jean

Liz, <BR>I just returned from Italy last week and saw a little bit of everything in regard to what women were wearing. I did see quite a few people wearing shorts, but it was mostly younger adults (early 20's). Although I saw some pants and skirts, by far the most popular type of clothing I saw women wearing were capri pants and sandals. <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:52 AM
John

Wear shorts if you want and you're not going into churches. My wife and daughters wore capri pants the first day in Florence and all wished they had worn shorts. You hear these stories that the Italians don't wear shorts. When we were in Florence, Rome and Capri at the tourist places (Colleseum, Forum, Spanish Steps, shops in Capri) there weren't any Italians (other than shop owners or ticket sellers) - they were all tourists!!!!!! Tourists wear shorts when its 85-90 degrees.