CLONTARF CASTLE HOTEL???

Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

CLONTARF CASTLE HOTEL???

First, thanks to all who have indulged my questions about Dublin. This will be our first trip to Ireland, so I'm really looking forward to it!!

I would really love to stay in the city itself, but the hotels either get mixed reviews, or are very expensive.

By the same token, I don't want to stay too far away from Dublin attractions, and I want to stay in something comparable to a four star hotel.

I'm seriously considering the Clontarf Castle Hotel. The reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor are awesome, and the hotel looks great on pictures! I understand the hotel is about 9 miles from Dublin city center, but there is a convenient bus that takes you to the city for less than 2 Euros.

Any thoughts on this hotel????

Juan.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM

Juan,

There was a discussion not long ago about the hotel. Go up to where it says SEARCH and type in Clontarf Castle Hotel and hit search and you should be able to get the info.

Good Luck, Joan
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Chatham. I should have thought of that!!! I did the search and found the information I needed. Sounds like a lovely hotel and easy to get to the city. I'm going with Clontarf!!!!
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:19 PM

Happy to have helped you. It does sound lovely. Have a great trip, Joan
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM

Recently stayed in Clontarf but not at the hotel. Went in/out of Dublin every day on the bus. Purchased a multi-day "Rambler" bus ticket and it was an excellent value. The length of the commute varied, depending on time of day, day of the week.
Visited the Castle Hotel one evening and had a light meal in the bar. The public areas are nice. There was quite a bit of activity at the hotel.
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:38 AM

I know this well as I have family in the area and we occasionally go up to the castle for drinks. Its a lovely place and newly renovated. There is a bus that start at the side of the castle (the 130 bus) that the hotel can fdirect you to. The bar food is pretty good and usually a nice atmosphere. There are a few good places to eat in the Area that are a good walk but bot too far. Hemmingways on Vernon ave is a fish shop that has a counter and stools and serves food in the evenings. You can choose from premade items and salads or they will cook a piece of fish you choose. Good value and tasty food. One thing though he is a bit grouchy so ignore it. He hate when tourists come and share plates as they are taking up his seats for full diners
I wat here every other week and still enjoy it.
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Also there is a little italian place on the seafron and corner of vernon ave called the sand bar. (Picasso is an Italian restaurant near this but is is overpriced and average in my opinion) tyey have pizza a pasta dish of the day and a few other dishes. They also serve wine and if its warm sit outside.

Another place I have not eaten in that gets rave reviews is Hen King. Its a Chinese restaurant abouve a pub beside the Clontarf Yaght Club. I can't remember the name of the pub it was called the Fingal House years ago. They are booked out most weekends and I have never heard so many people say a place is good so I must try!

This woukld be maybe a taxi from the castle. Another taxi ride would be to Kinara. This is an Indian/Packastani restaurant. Nice place and good food and service. Not the cheapest but good.