Reload this Page >

Cliffs and The Burren

Search

Cliffs and The Burren

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Erin

Cliffs and The Burren

We're planning a trip to Ireland in the beginning of June and have allowed a full day for the Cliffs and The Burren while staying in Doolin. How much time does it take to do both of these- will we be done in two hours and wonder what else to do all day? What else (besides the Aran Islands, which we're doing the next day) is a definite 'must-see' in this area?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:17 AM
cd

Hi Erin<BR>We are staying in Doolin while in that area also. We have allowed 1/2 day for the Cliffs, Burren and Aiwee (sp?) caves. Since we've not yet done it, I don't know if we are cutting ourselves short.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:32 AM
maire

Cliffs of Moher--get there early before the tour buses and walk around the path that runs behind the drop-off, unless heights make you queasy. We spent about an hour walking both directions and climbing up an ancient tower nearby for the view. The Burren is huge--it depends on how much of it you want to see. We allowed almost a full day for driving around it, and enjoyed the cave tour, which you need to allow an hour or so for.(There's a great artisan cheesemaker on the premises with a marvelous selection of cheeses.)

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Robin

Hi: My son and I took a bike trip through County Clare last summer. The Cliffs will not take half and day and the Burren will take more, depending on what you want to do. The area is large - you should get some literature about different routes and things to see - there are burial sites, a perfumery, etc. Lovely, lovely. You will have a great time. We are off to Scotland to bike this summer. Have fun.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Bill

I can't imagine an area in Ireland where you would be "done in two hours and wondering what to see". The walk along the cliffs is great and yes, there are a few heart stopping moments.<BR><BR>The info on arriving early is very good. The other option is later in the day. <BR><BR>As another poster said, this is a large area with plenty to see and do and you'll probably end up wishing you had more time.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:17 PM
John

Erin:<BR><BR>You can do both in a day or both in a week! I would do the cliffs early, then drive the Burren, awesome moonscape! Doolin is a beautiful area to drive as well! You must stay for the evening music! Another point that we found out about too late was...The 'dolmen' ancient site is in the middle of a field. There is a cow fence to keep the animals in but not to keep you out! Go ahead and stroll up to the site, in Ireland you are allowed to go to a site as long as you respect the farmers fields and cattle!<BR>JOHN

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:20 PM
rebecca

The cliffs right there in Doolin. I would eat breakfast- go right to the cliffs (before most of the buses get there and then drive about the burren.<BR>We came home as the sun began to set south down the coast road. Beautiful.<BR><BR>Aiwee caves - or however you spell it- was not impressive AT ALL. Maybe if you've never been in a cave before but if you've been in caves in the US I would probably skip it. (Neat design on the entrance and gift shop, tho).<BR><BR>Try to nap so you wont miss any music in the pubs at night! <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Jeff

You'll have no trouble filling up a full day in the Burren. You can get from Doolin to the Cliffs of Moher by car in a half hour or less, and I wouldn't expect you would want to spend more than a half hour there. Like any other place that tends to be mobbed by tourists, I think it would be best go to early in the day or, possibly better yet, in the late afternoon, when -- in the unlikely event it's sunny -- the western rays of the sun would be illuminating the cliffs. <BR><BR>We drove (last summer) to visit the Burren Perfumery, mostly because we figured it would get us off the beaten track, and then swung south and east from there. The area that's part of the Burren National Park has some remarkable vistas and formations, but the Park is totally undeveloped -- it's just a preserve, with no visitor center or anything. <BR><BR>For exploring the Burren, it would be very handy to have the Ordnance Survey maps for the area. Even a good map like Michelin won't help you out very much with the back roads in a place like the Burren.<BR><BR>There are old tracks called "green roads" that run hither and thither across the Burren. One of them runs right by the Ballinalacken Castle Hotel, which is about another two miles northeast of Doolin. <BR><BR>However, I would recommend that you seriously consider hiring a guide. One who gives guided walking tours of the Burren is Shane Connolly of Burren Hill Walks, Corkscrew Hill, Ballyvaughan, tel./fax 065-7077168, e-mail [email protected], website http://homepage.eircom.net/~burrenhillwalks. He has a number of itineraries, focusing variously on nature, history and archaeology, etc.<BR><BR>Finally, on the eastern side of the Burren, there's an interesting and extensive monastic complex at Kilmacduagh, with the tallest intact round tower in Ireland. Just a couple of miles further northeast is Coole Park, the gardens of Lady Augusta Gregory, Yeat's patron, and his own tower house at Thoor Ballylee is also nearby.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 03:49 PM
joyce

I'm planning a trip there in late May . . .here are some of the highly recommended areas: Kilkee - Beautiful beach, with scenic walks in both directions; Kilkee south to Loop Head – Lighthouse on R487, 24 mi RT, spectacular cliff scenery with sea stacks and arches, cliffs compare to Moher but less visited; Loop Head has good views and walks. Ennistymon - charming little town, w/ River Inagh with cascades. Internal Burren - drive to Carron, along way, Glenihisheen Wedge Tomb and Poulnabrone Dolmen (most photographed monument; 8 m s of Aillwee, sign from R480), then option of going n after 3k for magnificent valley drive to Cappaghmore. Castles include Bunratty, Knappogue, Dunquaire, Newtown.