Reload this Page >

Claverley Hotel-DON'T GO!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 03:47 PM
Eunice

We were at the Claverley Hotel a few months ago. It's billed as a 4 star and has a plaque out front stating that it was the top London B & B in 1988. Well, all I can say is that 1988 must have been the last time the management did a thing to maintain the hotel. Two stars is the max it should have in its present condition. Shabby is the first word that comes to mind, a big disappointment- and it was our first trip to London too.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 09:31 AM
Lesli

Eunice - <BR> <BR>Thanks for the post. I'm planning a London trip for late March, and was debating about spending the $$ for the Claverly, which looks charming on all the websites and has gotten some good reviews. Think I'll save a few bucks and stay somewhere in Bloomsbury instead. Again, thanks for the words of warning, and I'm sorry you were disappointed with your accomodations.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 07:10 PM
rlw

I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I suspect that what some people see as shabbiness, others see as charm. Perhaps after a few more visits to London and experience with other hotels in the same price range, you will be less damning.

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 02:13 AM
pj

Where was this hotel billed as 4 star? From the prices mentioned on its website, £70-£120 single/double rooms, I'd imagine it to be around a 2 star, particularly taking into account its location

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Anon

Taken from a hotel booking website: <BR>"The Claverlery Hotel <BR>13-14 Beaufort Gardens <BR>Knightsbridge <BR>London SW3 1PS <BR>Type: Townhouse Hotel <BR>Rating: 4 Diamonds from AA" <BR> <BR>And from another website which identifies the hotel as a 3-star: "The Claverley is an Award winning Bed and Breakfast Hotel in the desirable location of Knightsbridge, only 2 minutes stroll from the World Famous store, Harrods. The Claverley is a privately owned 33-roomed bed and breakfast hotel with excellent recently refurbished designer rooms. " <BR> <BR>4 diamonds/3 stars, right near Harrod's and "recently renovated" would lead me to expect some level of charm. I realize this hotel is moderately priced by London standards, but it does not bill itself as budget accomodation, so I can understand how Eunice may have felt misled. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 04:47 PM
Cindy

Dear Eunice <BR>I'm so sorry that you're stay at the Claverly was such a dissapointment. I've stayed there on several occasions and have always enjoyed it. The beds are very comfortable with nice linens and it is one of the only hotels that offers a full breakfast. It is not however a 4 star hotel. By London standards it is considered moderately priced. After having priced numerous hotels before my last visit I opted to stay there again because the location is so good. We were upgraded on our room and had a lovely stay. Hope you're next trip to London is better.

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 01:48 AM
Barry

We stayed at the Claverley in 1998 and found it to be one of our favourite places to stay in London. The location is perfect (just around the corner from Harrods and walking distance for most of the sights) and we found the staff and common areas to be quaint. There are several different types of room, and while we had a pokey room on one visit, the second time we went there we had a great room with a lot of space and everything we could need. <BR>We found out (at breakfast) that the hotel is very popular with single older females due to its location and safety factor. <BR>I would definitely stay there again. <BR>