Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

civita di bagnoregio - how hard is walk?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Natasha

Hello,<BR><BR>I was wondering how feasible it will be for me to visit civita di bagnoregio. I am looking for more information about the pedestrian walkway into the city. How far in distance is it?, is the terrain rough?, How steep is the walk?, etc. I am travelling with my Mom, who has a weak ankle. I don't want to make her walk too far or to walk on uneven or steep terrain. Would a visit to this town be feasible? We are hoping to see it either on the way to Siena from Sorrento (we are driving), or as a day trip from Siena.<BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:02 AM
ptmy

The way over is actually a very nice pedestrian brigde.You can park right at the bottom of the Bagnoregio end of the bridge.The bridge is madcadam and has no uneven walking area but it is rather steep. Expect to be out of breath when you get to the other side. By the way its only about 100 yards. You can easily see the other side.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Dayle

Hi Natasha!<BR><BR>Trying to do Civita as a day trip would be a pretty long drive. It's definitely worth seeing, but maybe in combination with Orvieto?<BR><BR>The walkway is longer than 100 yards however. If your Mom is going to be walking around Italy for other sights, I don't think she'll have a problem with this.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:44 AM
ed

http://aalto.arch.ksu.edu/personal/cwatts/across.html<BR>Check out this site. There are several pictures of the bridge as well as an anecdote about walking accross.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Joe

Natasha: I regret to tell you that the walk is long (you must park at an out-of-town parking lot and, cross a pedestrian-only bridge), steep (you have to walk up into the town), and uneven as most medieval hilltop towns are. There are steps involved as well. I don't know the extent of your Mother's condition, but if there is any way you can accommodate her difficulty, the visit is very worthwhile. Would a walker help or going slowly with plenty of rest stops? However, I don't want to mislead you. Rick Steeves describes the way in as a "donkey path". There is a B&B in the town that uses a tractor with a small trailer to bring in luggage. Perhaps some arrangement could be made with him. It is called the Civita B&B and the email address is fsala@pelagus. The few residents are "allowed" to use Vespas to go back and forth. I wish I could offer you better news. Good luck and enjoy Italy.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Andre

Natasha,<BR><BR>While Bagnoreggio is certainly in an amazing setting, I think you should give it a pass.<BR><BR>First of all, as Dayle says going all the way from Siena as a day trip is just not worthwhile. Also as there are SO MANY things to see between Siena and Sorrento, I really wouldn't put Bagnoreggio on my list. It is essentially a fabulous photo op but not much more.<BR><BR>Between Rome and Siena, I would much prefer stopping in Assisi, Orvieto, Perugia or Todi. These are all hilltop settigs but you can drive or use public transportation to get near the sights. Each one of these towns has so much more to offer in terms of architecture not to mention accomodations and dining.<BR><BR>If you feel you must go to Bagnoreggio, I wouldn't worry much about the paved bridge - it's the other side (the path up to the town and the uneven "pavement" in the town) which would be a problem. You can get great views of the Bagnoreggio from the village just across the ravine (the name escapes me). You will drive through it on the way.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!<BR>Andre

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Natasha

Thanks everyone for your descriptions and advice. I think Andre is right, I should probably pass on Civita. If you could pick two towns - one to stop at on the way from Sorrento to Siena and one as a day trip from Siena, which would they be?<BR>Orvieto and San Gigimignano?<BR>I guess the criteria would be walk-ability, beauty and architecture.<BR>Thanks

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Andre

Natasha,<BR><BR>Glad I was able to make my case!<BR><BR>Between Rome and Siena, I would pick Assisi for the amazing basilica, Perugia for shopping, Todi for village atmosphere and Orvieto for its superb cathedral and easy access from the A1 highway... Such choices!<BR><BR>As for daytrips from Siena, San G is great, but you don't mention Florence - are you going there afterwards?<BR><BR>Andre

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Joe

Natasha: It is probably better that you don't include Civita under the circumstances. Although, I do believe it rates better than a "photo op". The town across the ravine is actually Bagnoregio. In terms of other stops, San Giminagno is a natural since it is so close to Siene. It is a bit hilly, even at the top. But, the streets are relatively smooth although cobbled. It is a beautiful spot and if you take your time (plenty of places to rest), you and your Mother should do fine. Of the other locations, only Orvieto could really be considered "on the way". And, Orvieto is delightful. The Cathedral, as Andre mentions, is superb. The Etruscan museum and the caves are also very interesting. The cobblestoned streets and shopping lanes are great fun; many shops, cafes and good restaurants. Once you are at the top it is not very hilly. You can park at the top if you are patient or take the funicular up parking at the train station. We thoroughly enjoyed Orvieto. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Natasha

Andre,<BR>We are going to Florence afterwards. I am hoping to make a quick stop in Pisa on the way to Florence, where we will return the car.<BR>Well Andre and Joe both recommend Orvieto for the way to Siena and San G while in Siena. What about Montepulcano (sp)? How would this town rate?<BR><BR>Thanks again to everyone for their help.<BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Dayle

Hi again Natasha!<BR><BR>Montepulciano was one of the steepest towns we visited. Very steep streets & lots of stairs.<BR><BR>I would also recommend Orvieto. Very unique, very interesting & beautiful. Incredible wine & food. Easy walking & access to town. Do not miss the cave tour. It would probably be OK for your Mom. A few steps, but smooth walking.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:17 AM
natasha

Whew - Dayle thanks for the info on Montepulciano. Good thing I asked! I'll chose another town instead of that one too.<BR>Also, thanks for the vote for Orvieto.<BR><BR>Natasha