Walking Across The Golden Gate Bridge

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking Across The Golden Gate Bridge

I hope that this question doesn't sound as dumb to you as it does to me, but I would really really appreciate an answer.

We want to walk across the Bridge with our German visitors in August.

Would you suggest parking on the SF side and walking all the way across and then back, or visa-versa? We're not worried about paying the bridge fare, if we do the reverse and park on the Marin side.

We're also thinking about parking on either side and then walking as far across as we want (maybe not the entire length of the bridge, and returning to the side that our car is parked on.

I've walked the bridge before, both directions, but that was a thousand years ago when I was going to the Tonga Room and Blum's on prom nights ;-)

Roughly how long does it take to walk in one direction ... depending on the foot traffic? We don't want to make the walk an all day affair, but we had already planned to do it and then our visitors requested it.

This should be the worst of my problems - and right now it is ;-)

Thanks,

Nina
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:13 PM

I remember a dear friend of mine oh-so-cranky that there wasn't a hot chocolate kiosk on the north side after the trek.

I really recommend walking half way out then walking back. The view really doesn't change that much.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:13 PM

I would park on the Sausalito side because there are great photo ops there. Be sure to drive up the Marin Headlands. Some of the very best views are from up on the hill.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Walking towards SF is much more breath-taking than walking away from it. IMO - incase someone only wants to walk in one direction.

The same goes for walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, walk towards Manhattan.

Nina
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys - We'll park on the Marin side. (WHEW), that seemed like such a major decision - but it was actually so simple.

How long would a walk in one direction take? We may divide it in half or walk in both directions.

Now I can relax and enjoy my Mojito!

Nina
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM

I think it's a mile and a half. So it depends on how long it takes you and your Germans to walk a mile and a half (or 3 miles).
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Am I in a tizzy about their visit???? OH YEAH. I just went to the GG Bridge site and saw the parking on the SF side is 25 cents for every 15 minutes, just like our City parking meters. I don't know the time limit allowed. Possibly two hours.

The Marin side, Vista Point, has 81 spaces and a 4 hour limit (free).

Whenever I drive across the Bridge during the day, the pedestrian area never looks that great to me. Zillions of windblown pedestrians walking on the same side, going in both directions, along with the bicycles thrown in for good measure.

Maybe that's why I've waited so long to do it again - BUT I do remember how wonderful the fresh air felt and the fabulous up close and high up views of the Bay. OK, I'm ready, willing and able to do it again ;-)

Nina
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM

If you go on a weekend, bikes can only go on the ocean side of the bridge. On weekdays bikes can go on either side.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM

They will want to some old-growth redwoods in Muir Woods too, won't they? You could do this the same day as the bridge walk.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

We had also planned to go to Muir Woods or the Headlands on the same day. Unfortunately, it will be week day,, as we will only have them late Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so we will have to dodge the bikes.

Nina
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:46 PM

I walked the bridge - well, most of the way - a few years ago. I think parking on the Sausalito side is best also, and it would be nice to time it so you get back to the Sausalito side at dusk (admittedly late this time of year) so you get the great view of the city at dusk.

Ever checked out the Google Map satellite pics of the bridge? It's pretty cool!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sausal...00339&t=k&om=1

I have some pics of my walk across if you want to see them:

http://www.portlandbridges.com/00,DR...francisco.html

Andrew
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Andrew, your pics are beautiful. Many years ago I lived in Sausalito (dreams do come true) and I commuted to SF for work.

The view of SF as you approach the Bridge from the Marin side, never fails to to amaze me, no matter how many times I have seen it.

I hadn't been in Sausalito for quite some time (years) and a few months ago, on a weekday, I decided to drive through on my way back to SF. What a horrible disappointment - so many buildings and so many cars.
I barely recognized my old home - IMHO the charm was gone, it was just another crowded little town, albeit with a fabulous view of the Bay if you could see past the buildings.

I guess you can't go home ;-(

Nina
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:39 PM

Dodging the bikes on a weekday is way better than trying to find a parking space at Muir Woods on a weekend day. Be sure everyone has a windbreaker, just in case it's blowing the famous Golden Gate freezy wind.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Why not park on the SF side, pump a few dollars in quarters into the meter, taxi across, and then walk back?
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 05:59 AM

I don't think you'll find cabs waiting to take people across the bridge to Marin. It's another county and there is a bridge toll of $5 per car going back.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:14 AM

"Be sure everyone has a windbreaker, just in case it's blowing the famous Golden Gate freezy wind"

So True!
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 08:28 AM

My husband and I walked across the bridge and as corny as it sounds, it is one of my most memorable travel moments. The day was gorgeous, chilly of course, but sunny and not too chilly - just dress accordingly.

We took the city bus across the bridge, got off and walked across - and kept walking all the way to the wharf!!!!

It took an entire day, but we love to walk, so it was great. We walked through all of the neighborhoods on the way to the wharf and there were several open-houses for homes for sale. Of course we ventured through all of them, oohing and ahhing at the views and the COST!!!!

Once we got to the wharf we relaxed at a little bar and had a few cocktails, appetizers, went back to our hotel room and crashed!!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:23 PM

My husband and I walked halfway across and then back. It was very windy but enjoyable. I am an avid photographer and I got plenty of photos by just doing that!!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:07 AM
SAB

Just so people are not confused, I believe when previous poster stated they walked to the wharf, he/she is referring to walking through Sausalito to the Sausalito waterfront NOT the Wharf in SF.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No - SAB - I think you got it wrong. I'm sure cfntmpn meant they took the bus across to Marin and then walked to SF, then through the Marina and to the Wharf and then back to their hotel . . . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -