City tote recommendation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best bag for carrying a few basic items while walking around the city (Paris, Venice, Athens). I will not be carrying my credit cards, passport, or other irrepacable items in the bag, but would like something easy to sling over my shoulder and across my chest, not too big, but with enough room for sunglasses case, small digital camera, small guides, easy access to small amount of cash (for me, not for pickpockets!, etc. I've been looking at the Baggallini Uptown bag, as well as the Hobo International Travel bag. I'm leaning toward microfiber or nylon in black.

Anyone have a favorite they have used and would highly recommend? (BTW, I am a woman, if that is info that would influence responses.)
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I've used this bag many times while traveling:
Lightweight, not too big (but expands a bit), and not too small.

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7507_5205.html~Liz
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Elberko's bag looks like a good one.

I love my Hobo International bag because it has just the right kind of compartments to suit my needs. Cell phone slot, pen slot, all kinds of goodies.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:33 AM

I too am a LeSportsac fan. But lately I have been using Kipling bags. They come in varied sizes and the material is both lightweight and durable. You can find them at great prices on www.ebags.com.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:42 AM

I really like the bags described here...I'd love to replace my Ameribag with that Baggallini. Very nice.

But the Ameribag works perfectly and never hurts my shoulders or back (after walking 15 miles). I can fit a camera, phone, maps, wallet, water bottle, etc in it. Pockets are well thought out. I can't believe it's the smallest one they make...the big ones must be like carrying a steamer trunk!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM

I have loved LeSportsac for years. You just can't beat them for lightness. I have recently bought a few Kipling bags. Haven't found one I love the function of yet. But the colors are great.

What I will take to France with me later this week is the Ellington Stella. It is a decent looking tote/handbag that instantly converts to a backpack. I will be biking and walking in the country, so a backpack option is good for me. Perhaps not as useful in the city.

The lining is silver and reflects light which makes digging around a lot easier. There are two external pockets for cell phone and other small items.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Hi scdreamer - I have both a black microfiber Hobo Travel bag and a tapestry Ameribag and use them both, however, I do like to Hobo bag better, the strap is plenty long enough to wear across the chest thus leaving your hands free and it is a little dressier looking than the Ameribag.
Susan