City Night Line train service

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are looking into taking the City Night Line train from Amsterdam to Zurich. The trip is over night, about 12 hours in duration, and looks to be quite comfortable in a cabin with bed and ensuite bathroom with shower.

Has anyone travelled by City Night Line trains in Europe? Not the cheapest route, but it looks intriguing to us.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 07:33 PM

We often travel on City Nightline, but have not done the Amsterdam to Zurich route.
We are big fans of overnight train travel. Just be aware that the cabins are very small, as are the bathrooms (if you get a cabin with bath). Also, somebody has to climb up to the top bunk.

I have found that the best pictures of what you actually get are on the website Man in Seat 61 (www.seat61.com). This is an incredible website that will tell you everything you need to know about train travel and there is a section on City NIghtline.

Also, on the official City Nightline website you can tell the details of the train on your route (example, dining car or not).

Train travel is a lot of fun. City center to city center is hard to beat. Take some food and wine.
It's not as comfortable as a hotel but it's an experience.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM
ron

While waiting for user replies, and if you haven't already done so, you might want to read what the man in seat 61 has to say about the service, http://www.seat61.com/citynightline.htm
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Hi simpsonc510,

Yes, I've travelled on them twice in the recent past (and twice a few decades ago). I love it!

Make sure you get a gourmet picnic and some wine or champagne for the trip. Then, as soon as you can, get into your jammies, turn off the lights, and open the shades of your window. Watch the landscape and cities roll by your window while eating and drinking -- you'll feel like you're in a movie from the 1940s.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the replies. Much appreciated! I went ahead and booked our AMS-ZRH trip, so we will find out for ourselves just how great/so-so it might be for us. We are used to car travel, and we always fly into Zurich and rent our car there. Most of our time is spent in Switzerland on this twice-a-year trip, but we're trying something different this time, flying first to Amsterdam, rather than driving there after arriving in ZRH.

I will check out the link to photos and more information.

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will be pleased, I think, with the accommodations. The bathroom/shower combination is just that and rather efficiently laid out if not a bit cramped. The beds have always been comfortable for me and there is generally a minimum of noise from the outside. The breakfast offerings are kinda typical European continental and can be served either directly in your compartment or in a vacant one in the same car that is otherwise vacant and set up with a table.

It is not the cheapest form of travel but it is convenient and much less stressful than a long drive sometimes.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the wealth of information on the seat 61 sight. My one concern is about space for luggage. Is there a way to check excess baggage? I see that bicycles can be checked in. We do not travel light, which is one reason why we always rent a car. We are, after all, on a business (buying) trip to ZRH twice a year.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 05:59 AM

There is plenty of space for luggage both in a recessed area above the bathroom/shower as well as under the lower berth. No need to check anything.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dukey1. I appreciate that information.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 08:42 AM

I don't think they even have luggage check. You will have room as Dukey1 said.
It will be easier if you pack the overnight items that you will use on the trip in an easily accessible bag, so you don't have to dig through luggage. The cabins are quite small and it's hard to open big bags in there. It's best if you can stow your large luggage and not have to open it.
Tell your DH to bring his muscles as he will need to lift bags up over his head for the top storage!
Hope you enjoy the trip.
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM

If all else fails there is a small amount of room on the floor of the compartment itself. You simply have to be a bit more careful if you get up during the night and if nothing else, store a packed bag on the floor of the shower area
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the tips, guys. Muscles?? Hmmmm.... (haha)

I guess we'll work it out.