Frankfurt to Zurich

Search

Frankfurt to Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankfurt to Zurich

Have a car rented to go to Zurich from Frankfurt. Daughter concerned about us driving Christmas Eve Day to Zurich after an overseas flight. Rental is total of $350 for 10 days. Checked trains and looks like two round trips are almost as much as the car for 10 days. Is there something I am missing to cut the costs of travel between the two? To rent a car in one direction seems out of the question because of drop off charges.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 07:58 AM

If you are only renting the car for the purpose of getting from FRA to ZRH, then I would take the train and not fuss with the driving. If you are going to take some side trips out of ZRH then you may want to drive. However, you can get to about anywhere from ZRH by train also. I think it really depends upon your needs and what you are going to be doing in ZRH for 10days.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Am concerned about two issues, the cost and how flexible we are with travel plans. We can always rent a car in Zurich, but it seems form a cost perspective, the train seems very expensive usless we are not checking the correct places. Got a quote of $86.00 each way X 4 is about the smae as the car for 10 days.

Want to make sure I am checking the correct locations for train travel.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 08:47 AM

NormaB,

You are correct, it would be tough to beat the cost of 4 people in a car. Even when you add in the cost of gas, insurance and parking, it would probably only cost you about $800 total for the car or $200 pp. If you like driving, that's the way to go. You could probably get a train pass that would give you a number of days of travel during your stay that would cost about the same, but I would think your total cost for train travel would be about $1000 for 6 days of train travel.

I like the train because then I can just sit back and enjoy the ride by looking at the senery while sipping on a glass of wine. But that's just me. Have a good trip.

Greg
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 08:57 AM

By train, if you have a lot of time and want to save a bunch on the German leg, get regular tickets from FRA to Mannheim or Heidelberg (maybe 15-20 Euros each) then travel from there on a daypass called the Baden-Wurttemberg ticket from to Basel (28 Euros for the whole group.) The trip to Basel will take at least twice as long this way and will require a couple of changes of train because of equipment limitations on the daypasses, but the savings are substantial. From Basel and throughout Switzerland, you might either rent a car or look into a Swiss pass for the trains.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 09:01 AM

Think as much as anything it will depend on what you want to do for 10 days. Also, depending upon where you are staying you maybe looking at additional cost for parking rental car at a hotel? Driving in downtown Zurich, can be somewhat hectic.
Really boils down to how much utility you want to get from the rental car in terms of additional day trips of driving vs. training it for day trips. This then becomes perhaps a cost issue.Will bear some additional costs to train it from ZRH to who knows where? Berne, Basel or where ever. If you are renting a car and driving from FRA to ZRH only for the purpose of getting from FRA to ZRH, then I would definately take the train. Would relax with sipping wine as the prior poster has suggested.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 09:04 AM

You have not said why you MUST drive to Zurich on the day of your arrival. You might want to take the car, drive a couple of hours and then stop to spend the night. Freiburg might be a good stopping point.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 09:39 AM

NormaB,

You are quoting WAY too high a price for the train tickets!

I would try order the train tickets from the Swiss Railways, as they are much less bureaucratic than the Deutsche Bahn - don't even think of going through Rail Europe!

Check out this page for starters:
http://www.rail.ch/pv/ipv/tee-rail-alliance_e.htm

Then click on the "timetable" link from which you can choose trains and order tickets (or just request a non-binding price quote by e-mail).

As you can see on the first page I mention, if you're travelling with a kid 17 or under, he/she is free!

Also, only the 1st adult pays full fare, all further adults pay half price.

Finally, if you meet the conditions for a "Plan & Spar" ticket, you get an additional 25% off...

Assuming the full fare each way is indeed $86, 2 adults would pay $258 roundtrip (walkup price WITHOUT the Plan & Spar discount, which would knock off another 25%). It's even cheaper if you're travelling wih a kid.

So I strongly disagree that the car is cheaper from A to B. For example, you need to purchase a swiss highway toll sticker at the border which costs CHF 40. Plus there's at least $100 for gas...

However if you are planning on renting a car in Zurich anyway (what's the plan?), it MAY make sense to drive. I would need to know more about your trip to judge.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Oh, just wanted to add that to get train connections from Frankfurt airport to Zurich, enter the following as your departure station:
Frankfurt (M) Flughafen Fernbf

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 11:55 PM

About the train fares: I'm not sure whether you'll be able to benefit from the 25% deduction (if you buy tickets as there's only a certain number of reduced tickets for each train and the 24th will be a major travelling day.
But if you, Norma, pay full fare, your husband or travel buddy ;-) will only pay half price!!!

Another thing for driving: Be prepared for traffic jams on your way to the South! Most people will start into their christmas vacation on the weekend before but lots of people still have to work on that Wednesday. And since Christmas eve is the main x-mas event in Germany they all want to be with friends and family by that time.

However you'll decide: I wish you a wonderful christmas in Europe!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help! Our dughter lives just outsude Zurich. We were planning on driving back along the Romantic highway and perhaps going to the mountains during our stay there. There is just he tow of us, myself and my husband.

We would rather take the train, just to relax but it hard to justify with the present travel plans and huge drop off fees the rental companies charge to drive only in one direction.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 02:27 AM

I assume you have looked into discount flights between Frankfurt and Zurich (Germanwings, Ryan Air, etc) This may even be cheaper than the train.

Although time is a bit short now, your daughter may be able to get your train tickets more easily and cheaply by going through Swiss Rail, she could then Fed Ex them to you. She could also look into whether you can use the Swiss Rail Fly/Rail from Frankfurt, which would mean you could check in your bags in the US and pick them up in Zurich. (Not possible on a US carrier as far as I know, but can be done on Lufthansa, etc.)

As your daughter lives in Switzerland (as I do)you know that gas costs US$4.50 a gallon here, so that would have to be figured into your cost of a rental car. Also, as you may know, parking in Zurich and other Swiss towns is expensive and hard to find.

I am not sure that the romantic road is much fun in December, as in addition to snow and rain, it gets dark early and the sun is not up until after 8 am.

If you daughter does not have a car, she might want to look into renting a car for a few days, or even cheaper, joining the car-sharing program at Mobility Car Sharing, which is for Swiss residents only. She should take a look at http://www.mobility.ch/ (Site is in French or German only.)