Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cirrus, a good ATM card for EU countries?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 1998, 12:08 PM
Richard

SEASONS GREETINGS! After years of traveling in Europe using plastic, "coin of the realm" from Amex and travelers checks we are taking the plunge and going with the much discussed ATM card for cash withdrawals. Our main bank offers Cirrus, is this readily accepted at ATMs in the EU countries. We'll be trying this out on our mini-vacation this January, 5 days in the Alsace. Read the thread re "Are credit cards a good choice", lots of good advice but no specifics on cards. Thanks, RCVA <BR>

Old Dec 24th, 1998, 12:57 PM
Bob Brown

There has been considerable comment on this question over the past year or so. <BR>Everyone seems to have a different opinion. What you carry in the way of a card is a function of where you will be. <BR> <BR>My experiences have been as follows: <BR>In the big cities, your standard ATM card will work. (Mine is from Nations Bank.) <BR> <BR>In the smaller towns, I found that I needed my Visa Debit Card, issued through NationsBank. <BR> <BR>Elsewhere on this Forum I described an event where I found two branch banks in small town in Switzerland. One branch accepted only Visa; the other only Master Card. I used my debit card for the transaction. <BR> <BR>I suggest carrying a standard ATM, a debit card, and a reserve of US dollar travelers checks, just in case the ATM is out of order. <BR> <BR>And for Eastern Europe, including Russia, $10 and $20 bills give you a little leverage upon occasion. <BR> <BR>I understand that in Russia, several billion dollars of Uncle Sam's green float around as a de facto currency. <BR>

Old Dec 24th, 1998, 02:35 PM
bo_jack

Most of the time you can find ATMs which claim to be part of the Cirrus network. (I.E., they display the Cirrus logo along with several others.) The ones that I have noticed most frequently are Cirrus, Plus, Honor and Maestro. (I'm not sure of the spellings.) Since my ATM cards are accepted by more than one netword, I'm not sure which one is actually being used.

Old Dec 24th, 1998, 04:42 PM
Aurora

Our Cirrus card worked all over Turkey when we used it this past May/June. From the Black Sea to the Mediterranean, from Istanbul clear to the border with Armenia. Never so much as a hiccup.

Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there Cirrus banks in Lagos, Nigeria?
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

My cards carry the Cirrus and Maestro symbols. I never use any ATMs unless they display these symbols. I have never had any problems in 11 years of travel (touches wood...).