Reload this Page >

Cinque-Terre or Venice

Search

Cinque-Terre or Venice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 04:17 PM
Terry

Cinque-Terre or Venice

This forum has bee very helpful to my wife and I in planning our trip to Italy. We are now fine tuning our itinerary. <BR> <BR>One last minute change is to see the Cinque-Terre. We currently plan three full day in Venice with only one day in CT and some of that spent getting there from Florence. My question is would you recommend we cut our Venice time to two full days and spend two days in the CT? Or... spend three days in Venice with just the one day in the CT? <BR> <BR>I guess my real question is can Venice really be seen/enjoyed in two days? And conversly, can the CT be seen/enjoyed in one?

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 04:53 PM
Larry

Hi, Terry, we are leaving Friday for our first trip. We have two nights in Venice and three in Santa Margherita right next to CT. Don't know when you are going, but we will be back 10/29. E-mail me and I will give you our opinion.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Patrick

The Cinque Terre is 5 lands. These "lands" do not include Santa Margherita or any of the other surrounding towns. In my humble opinion, Monterossa is also not representive of the CT, but the other four smaller towns are. The only way to "experience" the CT is to hike preferably the entire length, but certainly one or more of the major links. I am amazed at the people who opt to stay at a larger hotel in Monterossa, take the train to one or more of the other towns, usually Vernazza, and claim to have seen the CT. Unless you can get there early, hike most of the day and spend at least one night in one of the four smaller towns, I say you haven't really experienced the Cinque Terra. Venice can be seen in two days, but really needs more to experience it. I suggest that this time you forget about the Cinque Terre and just do Venice. Save the CT for when you can at least spend a night, preferably two, and I would really suggest that then you stay in one of the four smaller towns.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 06:00 PM
Mary Anne

I have been to both Venice and the Cinque Terre on two separate trips. I think that you can enjoy Venice in two days and will be able to experience the Cinque Terre in two days - be sure and hike the Cinque Terre, but that doesn't take that much time - have fun!!

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 07:01 PM
sandy

I'm inclined to agree with Patrick. Don't try to do both Venice AND the Cinque Terre. I spent a week in Venice last March and don't feel like I saw everything. You have to walk - to get away from Piazza San Marco and all the tourists - to experience Venice. It's a fabulous city and deserves more than 2 nights! Cinque Terre on the other hand is not without its charms. then too, once you get over there, to that part of Italy, you will be seduced by the atmosphere, by the views. You will have to go to Portofino and San Fruttuoso. That is, unless youfeel that you can be satisfied to have "seen" Venice and "seen" Cinque Terre. Then it is possible to do them both.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 08:49 PM
Diane

Another vote to stay in Venice and leave CT for another time. I visited both -- staying four nights in Venice and three nights in Santa Margherita. Both have their charms and should be savoured. While in Venice be sure to take the water bus to Burano, a charming island with brightly painted homes.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 04:01 AM
Paige

It takes about 3 hours by train to get from Florence to Cinque Terre, plus time to get to your hotel and check in, so you'd only end up with half a day. IMO, that's too short. I think it would take most of a day to hike from the 1st to the 5th town and you wouldn't have time to enjoy it. If you decide you only have a day for CT, skip it and go on your next trip. If you don't think there will be a next trip, spend 2 days in each place. That's my opinion!

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 04:49 AM
em

If you are the energizer bunny, you might do both in that length of time. <BR>A mere mortal like myself (I have been to both areas &, while CT is charming, <BR>it is a minor attraction v. Venice)would wind up exhausted & feel that I had not done either justice. Frankly, I think 3 <BR>days in Venice is too short.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 12:30 PM
Patrick

Em, perhaps you can answer the question I just posted on the other current CT thread. I asked if anyone had experienced the CT and not loved it. You say it was a minor attraction. I'd be interested to know which town you stayed in, for how long, and which parts of the hiking you did.