Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Jul 11th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?

Message: Hello! I'm planning a 2 week trip to Paris and Italy in the beginning of October which includes Paris, Rome, Florence, and Venice. We would also like to do a 2 night stay in either Cinque Terre or the Amalfi Coast so I wanted to ask which of the two places we should go to. This will be our first time there and our parents will be going with us too. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Where are you flying into and out of for the trip? If you only have 2 days to spare, the Cinque Terre is quite a distance from Florence and the Amalfi Coast is even farther from Rome. I would suggest a couple days in Siena instead. It is located between Florence and Rome. It's a charming city with the most beautiful catherderal(rent the headsets)in all of Italy. I suggest a day trip to San Gimignano and Monteriggioni from Siena. You will love the slower pace of these smaller Hill Towns and they are a nice break from the intensity of the larger cities. Have a great trip.
Jul 11th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Melissajoy

Siena is wonderful; we just returned from first trip to Italy and I love Siena...it is a medieval hill-town, more tranquil than Florence, very atmospheric...

We also saw the Amalfi coast. The Amalfi coast drive, Positano, and Ravello are gorgeous, but I would say you would need a minimum of 3 nights to make it worthwhile to go all the way to the Amalfi coast, otherwise you won't have enough time there to see anything. It's a narrow road on a steep cliff with tour buses wizzing past you, so you might want to consider hiring a driver as we did.

didn't have time to see cinque terre on this trip.

Also I suggest 4 nights for Rome; 3 nights for Venice; in Florence it takes a full day just to see the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia (with Michelangelo's David statue). Another day if you want to add the Duomo.

Personally I like the more tranquil, atmospheric Siena, better than the busy city of Florence. But I did appreciate seeing the Renaissance art in Florence...

If you choose Amalfi coast, I would stay in Positano. We stayed in sorrento but we stopped in Positano during the day-tour and I liked it better...The town of Amalfi is gorgeous from a distance as you're driving, but if you stay there, it does get a litte touristy up close...Ravello has stunning views but it's up there on top of the hill, and I think the hotels are expensive...we saw Ravello on our day tour as well, but our hotel was in sorrento...Hotel Minerva in Sorrento, reasonable prices, good breakfast, amazing view from our bedroom window and little balcony and from the breakfast patio. But I found Sorrento itself, the town, to be much more touristy than I had imagined...Would stay in Positano next time.

Jul 11th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for you feedback! We are flying into Paris - staying 5 nights there, then taking a flight to Venice where we'll stay 2 nights, take a train to Florence where we'll stay 2 nights, and that's where I'm stuck! Not sure if we should go take a train to Cinque Terre and stay there for 2 nights then finish it off with Rome for 4 nights where we'll fly out of, or take a train to Amalfi Coast for 2 nights and then end in Rome. From reading other posts subsequent to my posting, it sounds like Amalfi Coast is a bigger and grander version of Cinque Terre, however it is a bit further and so you would need those extra days to explore. I do figure we'll be back there again some time and I don't want to be too tired with all the traveling with our first trip out there. However, 6 nights in Rome I think would definitely be too long. =D I have read great things about Siena! I don't know - if we only did have 2 full nights and 2 full days in Amalfi Coast, will it be worth it? On the one hand, I figure since we're going all the way out there, might as well see as many cities as we can. On the other, we don't want to be too rushed and tired when it's all over. Sigh - it's such a difficult decision! If you had to choose from Siena or Postinano which would you chose? Thanks so much for the response!
Jul 12th, 2004, 04:40 PM

In my opinion, whatever you do will be "worth it." We have not been to the Amalfi Coast but the pictures we've seen are breathtaking. We have hiked the Cinque Terre (all in one day) and LOVED that. It depends on your age, energy, and definition of a good time! I don't think you get a true sense of the Cinque Terre unless you hike it...certainly not by train. It was the highlight of our trip but grueling in 100 degree heat. Having said that, there are marvelous hilltowns in between Florence and Rome. As the other posters mentioned, Siena is a good destination. Don't miss the tiny walled city nearby...Monterigiano...????

You can't do it all but whatever you decide will be great.
Jul 12th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Lina is giving you some excellent advice. I would not do the Amalfi Coast for just two days. Yet two days in CT are fine. (But as Lina points out you better like hiking.)
BTW Positano is almost all steps----so quite a workout too.
With CT if you get tired of walking just wait for the train.
Enjoy,
Pete
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your responses! yeah unfortunately we'll be traveling with my parents so they may not enjoy the hiking in cinque terre as my husband and myself. what do you think of me leaving early morning in florence to take the express train into napali and then taking a boat to sorrento, arriving there in the afternoon and spending a day and a half there? as you can see i'm desperate to get there if not only for 2 days and nights! =D we are definitely thinking of doing a day trip to siena while in florence.

thanks!
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:19 PM
mjs

I think everyone has their way of traveling but I would plan your trip just a little differently as suggested above. Five nights in Paris seems fine, but I would add a night in Venice and a night in Florence ( Siena for 1 day day trip) and, than spend the rest of your time in Rome where you should try to get 4 days worth of time. So I would do something like 5/3/3/4. I would not do either CT or Amalfi with your time frame as doing so costs you an extra day of travel. A good rule of thumb here is the loss of a half day moving from one place to another. If you were only doing Italy you could easily do the big three plus one other location but more than that tends to start pushing things IMHO.