Cinque Terre in one day

Search

Cinque Terre in one day

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terre in one day

We are going to be driving in the Cinque Terre area. With only a few hours available, is there any value in trying to see any of the cities, and if so, which one?
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:50 AM

The Cinque Terre are super cute and the best part is the hike that goes through all five towns, although time and energy consuming (approximately 5 hours). The easiest access is going to be Monterosso al Mare to the north and Riomaggiore to the south. They're both different in feeling. Monterosso is more Italian Riviera early 1960's and has a long lungomare (boardwalk) and then a smaller town where you can eat. Riomaggiore is a much smaller town and has more of that Italian frozen in time feeling. From Riomaggiore the walk to Manarolo is not very long, so you could actually hit two out of the five towns in a short trip. Whereas the hike from Monterosso to Vernazza takes a good couple of hours, and half of it uphill. Depending on the month you're there, be prepared to see only Americans. Last time I was there the only language that wasn't spoken was Italian. Ask for the liquore al basilico after dinner. It's a digestif that they make out of basil and I've only found it there.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Read "Five of the Best" about 5'Terre on http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...508122653.html. I found this and other interesting articles from the Australian newspaper Sydney Morning Herald on www.smh.com.au/travel/archive/
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:26 AM
Sia

Great article! Planning on going to the Cinque Terre next weekend for a couple days, then up to San Remo for a night. Can't wait to hike- the weather is turning beautiful right now. Are staying at the 5 Terre hotel, will let everyone know how it is.
Ciao
Sia
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:23 AM

.....spent a half day in Vernazza and loved it. went up to the small castle overlooking the harbor....swimming....lounging on the rocks. bring your bathing suit...
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:29 AM

Santa Margarita was really beautiful and on the coast.
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:53 AM

Absurd, thanks for the link to that great article. I especially loved her line "Italy meets Utopia in Vernazza."

It was also interesting to read what she wrote about the death that happened when my girlfriend & I were there last April. It took place the day after we did our hike . We heard about it when we returned from dropping off our car in La Spezia, but many of stories were conflicting about who died, and what exactly happened, although all of the stories did mention it was an Italian woman who was wearing high-heeled shoes, so it was interesting to see this confirmed by the writer. It sounds like that section of trail, between Corniglia and Manarola, was closed for at least a few weeks since the writer says the trail was closed when she was there "because of a fatal accident the previous month."