Cinque Terre in December

Search

Cinque Terre in December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terre in December

Want to visit Cinque Terre December 10-15 and am concerned that restaurants in the 5 towns may be closed for season and/or holidays during that time frame. Has anyone visited during that time? Am I better off staying in La Spezia where there would be more dining availability and taking the train into CT daily?

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:24 AM

Many things will be closed at that time of year. Monterosso will have the most "life" of the 5 villages so I suggest staying there.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:13 PM

You should be totally fine because going earlier in December so no real impact with Christmas closures. Surprisingly, you will find ristorantes open during throughout La Spezia and Cinque Terre during that time. Specific to Riomaggiore (which I know best), "La Grotta" on Via Gasperi (at the base/bottom of the main road going up through the middle of town, on the R side) and also "Ripa Al Sole" up along the hillside (with seaviews), is also open. I have had Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner there. They serve a very elegant, fixed meal for a set price (~35-50 euros per person) that includes dessert and wine (if desired). In Manaralo, "Il Porticello" should be open. Nearly all the ristorantes in La Spezia will be open. Try "La Pia" in La Spezia for some delicious farinata (chick-peas) - a local specialty made in Liguria, as well as numerous pizzas. They have been open for over 100 years and are an institution there.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM

P.S. I meant to elaborate further on "farinata" being an unique crisp, crust type dish made of chick peas. It is served hot and you can fold it to eat like a sandwich, or use a knife and fork and cut like eating a pizza. Yummy and my favorite when I am there!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info... Have booked the Hotel Firenze & Continentale in La Spezia and will use that as a base for day-tripping...