Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast Suggestions needed.

Jun 18th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Linda

Hi,

A friend and I will be travelling to Italy the first 2 weeks in September and we have a few questions.
How far is it from Assisi to Cinque Terre?
As well, how far from Cinque Terre to Amalfi Coast.(we are renting a car)
The CT to Amalfi looks long and we are thinking of stopping in Sienna along the way, what do you suggest?
Being daughters of Italian immigrants we have visited "the old country" a few times and decided to pass on Firenze since we have both been there and want to focus on areas that we have not been and realize that Firenze needs a few days (that will be another trip.
A quick run down of our itanarary is
Assisi 3 nights(some family)
Cinque Terre 3 nights
Positano 3 nights
Capri 2 nights
Rome 3 nights

We are looking at staying at La Minerva in Capri
L'Ancora is Positano
B&B, Residenza San pantaleo in Rome
Any suggestions on where to stay in CT?
We are trying to save some $ in Rome(B&B) and CT since Capri and Positano are more.
Sorry, I realized that my message has run on and I will be signing off now.

I look forward to your great suggestions

Ciao

Linda

Jun 18th, 2001, 07:29 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Linda, It is too far from CT to Positano. I would drop a day from each and spend 2 nites near Siena. Or, spend one nite in Orvieto after having stopped in Siena for 3 hours enroute.
Good luck !

Jun 18th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Deb

Linda, I stayed in great place in Monterosso (CT) by the name of Hotel Villa Steno. It is owned by the same people as Hotel Pasquale. Very inexpensive and a great view.

Jun 19th, 2001, 03:22 AM
Linda

Thanks Bob and Deb,
Deb, maybe this is obvious, did you have your own bathroom and was there parking?
Monterosso is one of the locations you can drive to isn't it?

Jun 19th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Deb

Yes, they all had their own bathrooms and nice balconies. And yes they do have parking. It was probably my favorite hotel of my trip and at $50 per night for a single, a great bargain. If you need their website or e-mail address let me know but I think they are on venere.it

Jun 19th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Carey

you can drive directly into Montorosso. There is a parking lot at the base of the town by the sea. It is fairly reasonable. Get a hotel reservation though. Rick Steve's recommends finding a place when you get there, however, in the high season, there are tons of american tourists doing the same thing. we had to sleep in our car. I think you will like amalfi better the cinque terre. in the cinque terre, i would recommend parking the car for the duration of your time there, you can take the train easily to all the towns. In amalfi, you will need the car to get around.

Jun 19th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Lexma90

I will second Bob the Navigator's advice - from the Cinque Terre to Amalfi will be a VERY long drive - it will probably take you most of the day. I would spend that time visiting the lovely hill towns in Tuscany, and save the Cinque Terre for your Florence trip. (I love the Cinque Terre, though, and we've also stayed at Villa Steno. The rooms from the balconies of the town and the ocean are great.)

Jun 20th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Linda

Both Villa Steno and Pasquale are booked, any other recommendations?

Jul 4th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Kelly

I'm staying in the Cinque Terre mid September too. Any recommendations for us? thanks! Vernazza is OK too.

Jul 4th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Sherryl

Linda & Kelly,

I haven't stayed there yet, but I have reservations for late Sept. at the Hotel Royal Sporting in Portovenere (next to CT) - Both the hotel & the town got good reviews from this board. (www.royalsporting.com) Hope this helps.

Jul 6th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Kelly

Since Villa Steno is booked, can anyone recommend a few hotels/pensions with views in Monterosso or Vernazza for mid September? I've been doing some research but can't always tell if there is a view, which is pretty important to me.

Also, has anyone heard of B&B Il Parco? It's listed on cinqueterre.it but there's not much info on this place out there to go on.

thanks!