Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre Advisory

Search

Cinque Terre Advisory

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Mike

Cinque Terre Advisory

Just returned from a 2 week trip to Italy. Visited Cinque Terre for a couple of days. It has been raining constantly during the winter. As a result, there are many fallen rocks on the sheer cliff-hugging trail which has caused the cities to close the trail. While you can skirt some of the fences that have been set up, travelers who are sensitive about heights should be forewarned that parts of the trail have fallen into the sea hundreds of feet below. Beautiful scenery, though. Stayed in Portovenere. While not part of the Cinque Terre, it has a charm of a seaside town without the blatent tourism of some of the towns. Email me with any questions.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 01:17 PM
peter

this is not an unusual condition for the trail to be in after winter especially when it has rained a lot. the rock slides are a yearly event. beware in the early spring

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Patrick

I haven't been there this year, but I believe the slides were much, much worse than usual. I saw pictures of a graveyard on the hillside near Manarola which had coffins and bodies uprooted and literally strewn down the mountainside. That is not a yearly occurence. I suspect that there is a better reason than usual to totally close the trail until major repairs can be done.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 02:23 PM
Jim

Mike - this acrophobic is planning on hiking in Cinque Terre in May. I'm soooo happy to learn of the trail washouts. Maybe I should just find a seaside watering hole and soakk up the vino. Any recommended accommodations in Portovenere?

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Brian in Atlanta

This is confusing. When we were there in early March, the 2 longest hikes (Monterosso to Vernazza to Corniglia) were open and in fairly good shape (only a few spots were tricky). <BR> <BR>Have they had more washouts since then? <BR> <BR>Oh, and Jim, I'm not a huge fan of heights either, but the trails didn't bother me at all. I never had the feeling of being on a edge of a cliff.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 09:22 AM

topping

Old May 2nd, 2001, 09:28 AM
Tina

Leaving tomorrow for Italy. Will be at CT on Saturday. Has anyone been there more recently (end of April) & can advise on conditions of any of the paths between the towns?

Old May 2nd, 2001, 09:43 AM
liz

Tina, e-mail [email protected] directly and they will be able to tell you. <BR>Have a great trip! <BR>Liz

Old May 2nd, 2001, 10:14 AM
Liesl

Mike, do you remember which sections of the trail (between which towns) were washed out or had very sheer drops? I'm terrified of heights, but my husband and I would like to hike as much as we can. I'd hate to start out on a trail and find out that we have to turn back... <BR> <BR>Does anyone know of any tourist offices in the Cinque Terre area that we could visit when we arrive and find out about current conditions? <BR> <BR>Liesl

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:17 PM
joan

We were in Italy last fall and because of an injury of one of our group we visited CT by ferry. It was beautiful and one of the best days of our trip. You can get on and off to visit or lunch at the village of your choice. Maybe not the best form of exercise but Great Fun!!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:54 PM
Patti Suttle

Joan-we did the same thing last June-took the ferry from La Spezia to Montorssa then the train to Vernazza and had a wonderful lunch by the water <BR>(anchovies-the speciality of the region, pasta, bread and wine) <BR>and the train again to Cornelia I believe to walk around and then back to La Spezia. It is georgeous there! <BR>Want to go back some day..... <BR>So, you don't have to be a hiker to enjoy the Cinque Terre. <BR>Patti