Cinque Terre

Sep 4th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Cinque Terre

I am planning a trip to Italy in May. I have been reading many of the postings which have helped me tremendously! Thank you!
I plan to stay 2-3 days in Venise, 2 days in Florence, 4 days in Toscane, 3 days in Rome and 4 days on Amalfi cost.
I was wondering if it makes sense to take a day trip from Florence to Cinque Terre (I wish I could stay longer but there is just so much to see...). I saw there is a train leaving Florence at 7:50AM arriving in La Spezia at 9h52AM and for the return, leaving at 8:06PM arriving in Florence at 10:01. It seems like a full day but still seems better than miss Cinque Terre all together. What do you think?
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:11 AM
jay

If you only have 2 days in Florence then stay there as there is too much to see. See CT on your next trip.
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I am already spending two days in Florence. This would be an extra day...
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:25 AM

You should check the schedule for the whole journey from Firenze to, say, Monterosso (or another of the Cinque Terre villages) on www.bahn.de or www.trenitalia.com. Some connections require a change at Pisa rather than La Spezia. It's quite feasible as a day trip.
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Hi ,

I just did it as a day trip from Lucca( somewhat closer than Firenze), using the trains and was back by 6PM. I had planned to go to Riomaggiore and take the boat from there to Monterosso but , unfortunately, due to rough seas the boats weren't operating. It was also raining on and off that day ( this was one of only 3 days with rain in my 5 weeks trip!).
But even with all that, I'm glad I went. I need to return on a day the weather is nicer!

I tried to find for you a very useful thread that discussed all the train options for a traveler that was also coming from Firenze. It also gave the website of the boat company that operates between the 5 towns. I can't find it but maybe if you search on Cinque Terre you'll be able to locate it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sep 4th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I found an interesting tread and with your information, this is what I am planning. Any comments would be appreciated.

Day trip from Firenze to Cinque Terre:

Take the train from Firenze to Manarola for the first stop. I am not sure if I need to make a stop or not... From Manarola,take the trail for 1 hour to Corniglia. From Corniglia, take the trail for 1.5 hrs to Vernazza. Have lunch in Vernazza. From Vernazza, take the train or ferry to Monterrosso and hopefully have a swim on the beach. Then, take the ferry back south to Manarola and take the trail (approx. a 20 min walk) to Riomaggiore or stay in the Ferry to Riomaggiore for some evening snacks and drinks and a beautiful sunset. Then take the train back to Firenze.