Cinque Terra from Lucca?????

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terra from Lucca?????

does anyone have any experience or knowledge about getting to CT from Lucca? Planning on doing this in one day. I read a post where they took the train ,as the train trip should have been 45 minutes,but there were three transfers,waiting etc,turned out to be almost three hours! Cant do that,so looking at renting a car,or wondering if there is a tour bus that take syou and then picks you up late in the day..or a better train????
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:48 PM

I do not know anything about train travel, but it is an easy drive from Lucca. Rent a car. Have fun.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if you mean going there and back in the one day, but we travelled from Lucca to Manarola in the Cinque Terre, left at 9am, arrived at 12 noon, via Pisa and La Spezia, so a one day trip would be very rushed. If you have only one day, a suggestion would be to travel to La Spezia then catch the local train to Riomaggiore, do the easy half hour walk to Manarola, then catch the local train again to Vernazza. You probably wouldn't have time to do much more than that. Parking is very limited in the villages, Monterrosso is the biggest village so you might have more luck there or you could park in La Spezia at a secure carpark and then catch the train from there. There would also be parking in Levanto, the next small town north of CT.
Kay
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:19 PM
BAK

A few years ago my daughter was singing in Lucca and after the final performace stayed in the city for another week, and took several day trips to Cinque Terra and back each night, since she already had a place to stay in Lucca. She did not seem to this back and forth travel was a big deal.

BAK
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:16 PM

we did this is oct. there ws one train change and it was very easy. i think is was in la spezia.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:17 PM

sorry for not editing. it WAS in la spezia. not a big deal at all.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

message to wondering... it was one transfer,but did it take the three hours as seems mentioned a few times? I believe that would be too long,considering we're just there for the day.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:06 PM

You can check schedules on Trenitalia --- www.trenitalis.com/en
To get from Lucca to any of the Cinque Terre towns will involve at least one, if not two train changes. Time will take around 2 hours, and possibly 3 hours if you're going to the furthest town, Monterosso. Additionally, most of the trains are regional or diretto or what I call the "slow pokey" trains and consequently can take a bit longer than the more reliable Eurostar (no ES runs on your particular route). Unfortunately it's not the far "as the crow flies"; it just how the trains are routed. Other than renting a car, or finding a tour bus, may also check the bus system. I don't think the SITA buses run that far north; I believe it's the LAZZI (???).
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Sorry, a fat finger mistake. CORRECT website is --- www.trenitalia.com/en
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:49 PM

kmoncrief: it was over two hours transit time, but i am sure not three- the train change was only about 10-15 min and then it went directly to monterosso. it was not a "milk run," but i am not sure if it was an ES, but it was direct. we did not plan ahead so i do not know if we just lucked out. wish i had something written down for you. ira would know the best place for train schedules i am sure. maybe you can check some of his past postings if he doesn't chime in.