Cinque Terra

Dec 11th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Mike

Cinque Terra

Planning my next trip to Italy (early June)and I've budgeted 3 days/nights, give or take, for Cinque Terra. Dilema is that all five villages sound wonderful and I can't decide how and where to spend my time there. Also looking for a 1 day/night stop on either the Italian or French riviera before heading back to Paris. Give me your best!! Thanks in advance.

mike

Dec 12th, 2002, 04:00 AM
pat

We have stayed in Riomaggiore and Vernazza and enjoyed them equally. I would not stay in Corniglia if you are travelling by train. The train station is about 400 steps up or down. Here is a site which may be helpful. http://www.stop.at/cinqueterre

Dec 12th, 2002, 04:21 AM
ann

With 3 days you can easily see them all. They are all less than 5 minutes apart by train and one ticket lets you get on or off at any of them. Of course you can also hike between them - all or just hike the easy ones and take the trains on the harder legs. Be aware that the trails are closed when it rains hard. We were there in July and it had only rained for one full day, and was raining the day we were there and all the trails were closed, even the easiest one. But we still took the train between them and walked around them and the beginig parts of the trails. We stayed in Camogli which is about an hour north by train. I actually like Camogli better than the Cinque Terra towns.

Dec 12th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Betsy

Santa Margherita is a lovely town north of Cinque Terre and you can take bus or ferry to Portofino.

Dec 12th, 2002, 09:34 AM
ami

"you can take bus or ferry to Portofino"

CAN TAKE? MUST TAKE!!! If weather is good you MUST go to Portofino for a day. Take the ferry. There is a small beach after Portofino, which is a real charm, again if it's a warm day.

Dec 13th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Joan

drove into riomagiorre from florence and stayed there last spring. doesn't matter which village you stay in as train access is efficient. riom. had more touristy facilities and hotel selection and we could park there. did the entire hike between the 5 villages. perfect weather; spectacular hiking. did from riomagiorre to the next town one day; relaxed and took the train back to hotel, and finished the hike to the end the next day. i'm 50 and fit and found parts of it mildly challenging. then drove the "scenic route" to santa margarita, and then hiked (7 k) to portofino. there's a scenic paved trail. then took the bus back to santa m. would stay in santa m. portofino extremely expensive.

Dec 13th, 2002, 10:07 AM
pat

We stayed in Levanto, just north of the 5 villages, and there was a trail between Levanto and the uppermost village, near the shoreline. Hiking it was awesome! We enjoyed Levanto. We used the train some too, to run back and forth between the 5 villages and hiked betwwen some of those too. You will love it, regardless of where you stay!

Dec 14th, 2002, 07:44 PM
homesick for italy

yes, while in the area go to Portofino, but don't spend too much time shopping in the harbor (but do treat yourself at Panificcio Pasticceria, great cheese foccacia). instead climb up to Castello Brown (which is also called another name) ... the castle grounds are beautiful... and it is a peaceful place to enjoy amazing views of the harbor below. this was one of my favorite spots on my 6 week adventure in Italy.

I used Santa Margherita Ligure as my base for 3 nights at the Hotel Laurin (3 star hotel). great restaurants... and easily accessible via public transportation to Portofino, CT, etc.

Dec 17th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Dave

3 days is plenty of time for Cinque Terre. All the towns are no more than a couple of minutes apart by train if you go that way, but you MUST do a little bit of "the hike".

As for a stop on the way back to Paris -check out Camogli. We honeymooned there and I can't say enough good things about it.

Dec 17th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Lewis

Dave
We are staying in Camogli this coming summer at the Hotel Cernobi Dei Doge, did you happen to see it or stay there?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Dec 17th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Jen

I went to CT last May and stayed 4 days in Riomaggiore. I stayed in a great seaside apartment with a gorgeous view for $50 a night. I rented the apt. when I arrived just by asking around however I wouldn't suggest this method at the time you are going since it will be high season. The apartment was handled by an agency called Mar Mar. I loved Riomaggiore and by the time I left I knew half the town. CT is breathtakingly beautiful and if you like to hike it's paradise. Riomaggiore is a good place to stay because it is at the far end of the five villages so it's perfect for doing the full hike. Hike from Riomaggiore and then arrive in the final town of Manarola and have a bit to eat and lay on the beach then hop on the train back. I took a day trip to Florence which was a nice way to mix things up but a bit out of the way. I also stopped off in Torrino on my way to Paris (that was also where I was headed). Torrino I found oddly very charming.

Jan 1st, 2003, 03:11 PM
andrea

Maybe you will decide to stay in Manarola...have a look at www.baranin.com/webcam .
Bye
Andrea Somovigo
Manarola - Cinque terre -