Search

cinque terra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 12:53 AM
carole

cinque terra

We are travelling to Italy tomorrow and will be staying two nights in Portovenere, two in Santa Margharita Ligure and one in Camogli. We want to walk at least part of the cinque terra path - which of these resorts would be the best base to do the walk? Also, I have read that part of the walk is very scary for people that don't like heights. Can you suggest the best route avoiding the bits that are particularly scary as we are not too keen on heights?<BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:15 AM
Daniel

Vernazza is the most beautiful and charming of the five villages of Cinque Terre. From there you may walk west to Monterosso or east to Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore. If you take a daytrip from Portovenere, it´s natural to start with Riomaggiore. The local train from La Spezia stops in the villages.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:40 AM
carole

Thanks Daniel. Which part of the walk is the most exposed in terms of height? We really do want to walk at least part rather than getting the train.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:10 AM
Daniel

The paths between the villages may be steep and strenuous, but I can´t recall any scary parts. Sneakers should be good enough, but I would wear walking boots and shorts.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:27 AM
Daniel

Hello again. If you have time for only one hike, walk from Corniglia to Vernazza (2 hours). Vernazza to Monterosso is second best (less than 2 hours). Corniglia to Manarola 45 min.), to Riomaggiore half an hour.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:37 AM
carole

Thanks again Daniel. You have been very helpful. I am really looking forward to our trip.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:03 AM
Nutella

I don't want to scare anyone, but be careful! While there are segments that are a stroll thru the park, there are also parts where it's one false move and you're down the cliff. Definitely wear sturdy shoes with good traction, especially if it rained recently. Good luck and have a great time!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:52 AM
Cindy

We'll be there in a few weeks also, with two kids, 6 and 11. I'd like to do at least one segment of the path. What would you recommend for a family?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
MK

If you don't like heights, I would suggest starting in Riomaggiore and walking to Corniglia. This route would be the least "scary" in my opinion.<BR>Have fun.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:28 PM
Patrick

Although I have no fear of heights, my travel partner does. We stayed in Manarola. The walk from there to Riomaggiore is mostly paved and very easy. But when we left Manarola for Corniglia, almost immediately we came to a very narrow spot with quite a steep dropoff. He hesitated for a while before deciding yes, he would do the walk. We continued the other two sections as well, going all the way to Monterossa, but he found that segment near Manorola the "most frightening", but only for a very, very short distance.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:26 PM
Morten

The heights might be part of the view and the experience! If you don't like heights, take a walk on the sidewalk, or Central Park, but I would expect more danger there than in any path at Cinque Terre. I walked the very distance some 20 years ago - before any american had put their foot there, but I still believe the paths arent very different now. My memory, though...<BR>Morten, Halden (Norway)

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:29 PM
Dave

I made the hike several years ago from Riomaggiore to Monterrosso. As I recall, the first 3 legs of the hike were very easy and didn't involve treks to great heights. The final 2 legs (especially the last one into Monterrosso) was the toughest and most exposed to heights. <BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:43 PM
Capo

Hi Carole. There are four segments of the Cinqe Terre footpath, one between each of the five towns. Cornigila is the town in the middle; the two segments south of Corniglia are basically flat -- and not scary in the least bit -- whereas the two segments north of Corniglia are up on the steep hillsides, and may have a few scary parts (depending on how easily scared one is.) On the other hand, I didn't find the southernmost two segments nearly as scenic as the northernmost two so, IMO, the tradeoff is ease of walking vs. spectacular scenery. <BR><BR>Plenty -- and I mean plenty -- of people walk these footpaths without incident but you DO have to be careful. For example, when we were there at the end of April, one woman slipped and got a compound fracture and another woman (Italian, I believe) was apparently videotaping when she slipped and fell all the way down to the water, and died. <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:09 PM
Tom

Yes, apparently someone did die at the end of April on the path between Manarola and Corniglia. That portion of the trail was closed to all hikers indefinitely (as of last week).<BR><BR>I wouldn't think the trails would present a problem even for those who don't like heights. You've always got your feet on the ground and you can go at your own pace. It's so pretty, it's worth the attempt - just turn around if you don't feel like continuing.