CIEE Prague or UD Rome Study Abroad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to study abroad this summer through the University of Dallas's Rome Program or CIEE's New Media and Journalism program. I want to travel several other places (London, Paris, Amsterdam, etc) throughout the trip on weekends.

Any input on the cities or either of these programs would be very helpful!

Here's a little info on each...
UD Rome- 6 weeks, University of Dallas's own campus. has several field trips throughout Italy during the week, 2 mandatory weekend trips (Florence & Lake Albano). 3 Free weekends. Has a 5 day travel break. In dorms, meal plan. My mom would come and meet me afterward in Europe. $6,000

CIEE Prague- Charles University. One of my good friends is also doing it. 8 weeks. 4 mandatory weekend trips (2 within Czech Republic, 1 Berlin, 1 Barcelona), 4 free weekends. In apartments with no meal plan. $7,000.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 11:15 AM

well Rome can be sweltering hot in summer - be sure to dorms have AC. That's one factor. Prgue on the other hand can even be too cool or rainy at times - Rome will be mainly hot and humid and sunny. Rome has some beaches nearby.

I'd chose Rome if it were myself as it has a ton more to offer in terms of historical relics - Prague is great but one may tire of it after a while - Rome one never tires of (except is the wilting heat).

Investigate the European rail system and cheap youth railpasses for those under 26 - great sources for rail travel - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; and www.ricksteves.com. Overnight trains link Rome to Munich and Vienna and via changing in Milan to Paris - great for weekends and there may be others from your group that wishes to travel with you - night trains for your age can be a real blast and also save on a hotel and daytime travel time.

Rome IMO has a lot more famous place near it - Florence, Venice - both great for weekends or Pompeii and the Naples area.

Prague may be cheaper though!
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 11:50 AM

One thing to consider is how much you will be interacting with locals or students from other countries. How much do you want to immerse yourself in another culture?

Since the UD program is on the University of Dallas' own campus, will all the other students be American? Will the dorm living being with other UD students?

If you haven't done so already, I suggest checking with each program office to see if they can connect you with students who have gone on their programs. Find out what they liked/disliked about the program and if the would recommend it.

Although Rome may have more to offer than Prague, as PalenQ states, it's not as centrally located. I would think taking weekend trips to other countries would be easier from Prague, if that's important to you.

Doesn't sound like you can make a bad choice, just need to consider what you really want to get out of the experience and weigh the pros and cons.

Good luck!
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 11:53 AM

CIEE is a not-for-profit or non-profit outfit that has been around for a long long time - very reputable. I assume U of Dallas is too.