Search

Ciao from Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ciao from Rome

We've been here several days, had dinner and a fabulous tour with ekscrunchy and her husband. Lots of things to talk about like a lost coat, a broken toilet at the apt. etc.. The weather has been spectacular though, like in the 50's and 60's with no rain. Seeing things we haven't seen in our 2 previous visits. Will, of course, post more later. Off to dinner in Trastevere!

Ciao!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM

I have heard so much from friends and relatives about people trying to rob them in Rome.......I have booked up to go there this year.....Is this city safe for you? Were you warned about safety beforehand by friends,etc. ??
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Hi, Sandi, what weather!
We went last year and loved it, but it was so cold. My friend in Germany tells me they have had no snow as well. Look forward to your trip report!

Carioca4ed, I glanced through your previous posts and noticed you posted a similar question on Paris. As Andrew said wisely then, you can find bad experiences about every city in the world.

IMHO, the posters here who live/work in urban cities (New York, etc) seem to be most comfortable in Rome. I believe they are more aware of their surroundings on crowded trains and walking. My instinct is, there is more petty theft in Rome than the States but probably less violent crime.

There are great pouches to wear under your clothes for your passport and bulk of your money. (Just keep a smaller amount of money accessible to use for the day.) Be especially wary of the bus over to the Vatican and of Termini station. If a commotion breaks out, stay out of it and become even more alert. It may be a set up.

While precautions are necessary -- whatever your choices -- Rome is well worth all of them. I would not miss Rome for the reasons you ask.

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Wish I was there!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Glad to hear you are having terrific weather. It seems we've changed places, here in not so sunny California it has been in the 30's at night and the high 40's low 50's during the day.

Have fun and eat plenty of gelato !!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

The only robbery is the exchange rate and bank fees. Lots of threads about it but we are experiencing about a third of our budget flying out the window in rates and fees. Not one single problem with robberies, pick pockets etc. Never once felt unconfortable no matter where we were. Do NOT be afraid of this city...unless you come unprepared for the city in general. Think about being in NYC without knowing the language. More later. Tomorrow we take the train to Bologna.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Sandi, tell me it ain't true. Rates & fees -- a 1/3 of your budget? You must have been on a different Fodors than I. (

I hope you haven't been going to banks to exchange your money vs. the ATM & low fee credit cards. (b))
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

No, we've been getting about 300 euro at a time from an ATM..it's really about a qtr of the budget. We're in Bologna right now and I'll post more later about the specifics fees we've encountered.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Ciao sandi! Great weather! Thanks for checking in with us poor saps that long to be where you are! Hope the remainder of your journey is rain free.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to global warming the weather has continued to be fab. We are in Zurich tonight and fly home tomorrow. I cannot seem to get ahold of American Airlines here (on the phone) to see if there are any flight delays due to the crazy weather in W. Europe yesterday. Nothing on the website indicates it either. If some helpful person out there can call AA and see if Flight 37 leaving the 20th from Zurich to Dallas is on time so far (10 45 am) that would be lovely. Post report in the coming days. Wish us safe travel back home.

Ciao
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Hi Sandi,
As of 3:00 NY time, the flight is showing on time for tomorrow on AA's web-site. Hopefully the crazy weather is not creating too much havoc. Condi Rice landed in England yesterday afternoon, despite 80 mph winds.

Have a safe flight.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Hi Sandi,

Glad you are having fun! We had a great time with you on the Forum tour and at dinner at Armando's. Have a safe trip home!! ekscrunchy