Reload this Page >

Chunnel or Hovercraft -- Paris to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 1997, 01:26 PM
Jean Davis

I am going on my first trip to Europe. I will be in Paris for two days then going to London. Is the Chunnel the best way? I know it's the fastest... and not cheap.I was quoted $207/pp round trip with Sat night stay (I have to come back to Paris as I'm leaving from Madrid--frequent flier restrictions!) I do want to maximize my time in England. Any better/cheaper/more interesting ways to get where I'm going?

Old Sep 15th, 1997, 02:20 PM
Tricia

I listed a site in a message which I just sent to board from 8/31 as people don't go back that far to read; Here is the website on the chunnel/hovercraft:www.hoverspeed.co.uk
Think its cheaper than chunnel if I remember- I chose to fly the channel. It was $120 roundtrip-use British Airways-very good service!!!

Old Sep 15th, 1997, 06:29 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Jean: I'd check out Tricia's recommendation (she's VERY well informed--I read her suggestions here regularly). Having crossed the Channel ALL the ways she mentions--plus via a ferry between Dunkerque and Newhaven which probably doesn't run any more--I'd vote for the Eurostar via the Chunnel chiefly for its convenience. It leaves from mid-city and arrives in mid-city at both ends, saving LOTS of time and effort. The Hovercraft is probably the cheapest (if the Channel ferry no longer operates or is unavailable); but given my druthers, I'd take the Eurostar every time. Have a good trip (I think you'll find it much too short --but you'll whet your appetite anyway). Joan

Old Sep 16th, 1997, 07:49 AM
dodger

If you have lots of time you can take the bus from Paris to London on Nationalexpress bus. Very cheap but it takes about 9 hours. You can sleep on the bus if you like or if you don't mind the small space. I would vote for the Eurostar. Fast, fun, clean and not that costly considering what you get. If you want details on the bus let me know. I believe the cost is around 40.00 pounds r/t.

Old Sep 16th, 1997, 09:28 AM
Tricia

Hi, Joan, What's the matter- you must be another travel agent feeling threatened- you are the 3rd woman this week bitching at me- I only gave her a website and mentioned what I paid for a flight- here is some more info you forgot to mention- Website for Eurostar is www.eurail.com/eurostar--says it leaves London Waterloo Station- First Class is $199, regular fare is $139 (London to Paris) and its a 3 hour trip, so there! (You guys most all be suffering from PMS, bigtime!!)

Old Sep 16th, 1997, 05:29 PM
Mimi

Four of us will be going to London via Eurostar. With no definate plans in each place, i would like to know if i can get the tickets easily when i am in Paris as i don't want to commit to a date. Thanks. Mimi

Old Sep 17th, 1997, 12:12 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Mimi. I don't think you should have any trouble booking on the Eurostar after you get to Paris. It leaves from one of the main stations (I can't recall if it's the Gare du Nord or the Gare de l'Est). You can also buy tickets at the French Rail roads office on the Champs Elysee (near the Arc de Triomphe). Bon voyage! Joan

Old Sep 18th, 1997, 05:10 PM
Wayne

Take the Eurostar, hands down. 186.6 mph and smoother than a 747.
Cheapest, take the bus, ferry, bus.
Next, slow train, ferry, slow train.
Forget the Hovercraft. It's very expensive, noisy, and has little view(water spray). If you must try the hovercraft, take it round trip on the cheap (Dover-Calais-Dover) some other time.
If you had a rail pass the Eurostar in much more reasonable.

Old Sep 19th, 1997, 01:23 PM
alan.reynolds

No contest. Take Eurostar. I have gone under the channel over 30 times now. waterloo (central london) to Gare du Nord (central paris) in 3 hours (inc 20 mins under the sea). Two classes of travel. Take first class if you want a meal at your seat. Standard class if you want to buy from a troley or starve. Fares depend on how long you are going for. cheapest right now Sterling pounds 59 for a day trip booked 14 days in advance. Open dated First class return Pounds 260. Take your pick in between

Old Oct 8th, 1997, 07:37 PM
Tricia

sending up for lady with qestion on Eurostar

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 05:31 PM
Mike

I disagree with the "no contest, take the Eurostar" position. I am sure it holds a special allure for those especially entranced by time spent in a dark tunnel and a quick arrival in Paris, but I opt for the Hovercraft. It is technologically unusual whereas a train is a train, irregardless of its venue. It can also be very inexpensive if you take care to inquire and book well in advance. For example, fares as low as five pounds round trip are available if you meet advance booking and return trip schedules. Check it out!