Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Chunnel Form London To Paris ...sit on left side or right side for best scenery?

Search

Chunnel Form London To Paris ...sit on left side or right side for best scenery?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think this is a silly question but not having been on the chunnel, here goes.....If I am sitting facing forward (same direction train is going) from London to Paris which side has the best scenery ?
Also, how can I be sure I dont get a seat facing backawrds as it makes me ill?!
If this is a really dumb question, my apologies in advance! Thanks!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:18 AM

We've taken the channel train both ways,,,,by CAR however (but it is the same tracks &gt. 25-30 min. of the trip is "under the water" so is pitch dark. I imagine you go straight out of the station without backing, so sitting facing forward would be as easy choice or you could ask an attendant. We drove the car off in Calais(and drove down the Normandy coast) so can't help you as to which side has the prettiest view between Calais and Paris. However you might want to consider the hot sun streaming in your window as to which side you sit on. Others might help as to the beauty outside the widows, but it is probably pretty much the same. No, there are NO dumb questions if you want to know something.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:38 AM

You simply tell them you want to face forward, when you book. In fact, if the computer fails you, these trains are hardly ever full, so you just change seats. You may well want to do that anyway, since you have time at Waterloo to trundle your luggage trolley to the front if the train, pick an empty seat, and so arrive in Paris Gare du Nord near the exit: this is a long train, and trolley hire at the Gare du Nord costs two euros, unreturnable. (Please do not tell Eurostar I said that, and act dumb if they ask you why you are there).

The Eurostar train takes the duller of the two routes through Kent, and Picardy is not known for landscape, so it does not matter which side you sit (plus, the same point, you can change seats). Nor does it help that you are rushing along, so only really see places a mile from the track. Now if you want a journey of seven hours, rail, sea, rail, with beautiful and historic scenery in Kent and not so bad in Picardy please ask me.

The same point about trains too fast applies to Eurostar Italia.

Welcome to Europe

[email protected]
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:46 AM

Don't waste time looking for the best side for scenery. This really isn't a scenic railway. The Kent countryside is prettyish (on both sides), there might be a nice view of the Thames, Parliament etc on the right as you're leaving London if there isn't another train in the way, and that really is about it. The French section is really a green desert, though other posters may have noticed something. Take a good book. Sadly, the crossing itself is visually underwhelming.

Seats are all pre-assigned, so attendants can't help. I've never found a way of getting a specific seat on the Web: we've always phoned Eurostar's booking people (+44 1777 777878, or 08702 649 899 in the UK )and told them what we want.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 03:49 PM

As the others say - it really makes no difference. The Eurostar does not travel through the most glorious countryside. And you head underground before you can see the coast. In Kent you may get a glimpse of a few conical oast houses. The train travels very fast - and especially on the France side, there is nothing much to look at.