Search

Chuckle, Chuckle Re Peter Greenberg

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuckle, Chuckle Re Peter Greenberg

A bit of early morning humor...

In Peter Greenberg's 5 Ways to Disguise you are an American, were these two that I thought I would share with you:

In years past, my advice for many Americans traveling abroad — and especially to destinations considered high-risk — was simple: Tell everyone you're Canadian.

For example, in France, you don't want to ask someone at the breakfast table to pass the butter and préservatif, unless you prefer to be handed a pack of condoms (confit is a more appropriate term).

a bientot...

Joan
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:43 AM
tod

Har Har! Joan - In my case most people mistake us for Australians.......we tell them No - New Zealanders!
Joking~ we tell them Afrique de Sud and usually get a surprised look and a smile. Must be because our currency exchange rate is so miserable they hardly expect us to be there!
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:53 AM

When we were in Egypt, our guide told all the armed guards we were Australian so they wouldn't impose additional security. we just smiled rather than trying to get a good Aussie accent going.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
sap

Funny, Joan!

My 13-year-old does an amazing Aussie accent. I'll just have him do the talking. (Course, he probably picked it up from Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter or something, so it might be a bit exaggerated.)

I can't even tell the difference between Americans and Canadians -- accent or anything else.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Yeah, well I remember Peter Greenberg saying on the Today Show that e-tickets would never catch on and were risky business and that everyone should have a real plane ticket. So I have questioned his expertise ever since.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:06 PM

I'm American and I am married to a French wife and I live just outside of Paris. Prior to moving here in Sept. 09 I had been spending 5-6 weeks a year vacationing in France since 2002. I think way too many people worry about being spotted as an American while in France. There's no need to hide who you are. The Germans don't worry about looking German, the Chinese about looking Chinese etc. Be who you are. There's nothing wrong with being American. The French (and many other countries in my years of traveling Europe) dislike American culture and foreign policy but generally like Americans. Sure, there are a few rotten apples in every bunch who may dislike Americans for simply being American but there are a few rotten apples in America who dislike the French because they are French. In many places I travel when I'm away from tourist areas (like in very rural areas where they never see Americans) I am actually given better treatment because I'm American. Free food, free wine and extra generosity.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:55 PM

Americans get free food and wine in rural France? Where?
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other day in a hotel in Edinburgh, I asked two ladies where they were from the in the States.

They glared at me and huffed back: We are Canadians.

I apologized and asked from where in Canada.

They growled back: From Toronto. And we don't like to be called Americans.

Well, I thought. Then CHANGE YOUR ACCENT.
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:53 AM

Just don't pretend to be British. British tourists are the scourge of Europe, despised by everyone. I find Europeans like Americans because we tip generously.
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:37 AM

I love your attitude, Frenchmystique!!
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:41 AM

LOL, schuler. No doubt these ladies, if pressed on the subject, would be happy to expound on how they hate to be mistaken for discourteous Americans.

I haven't read the other articles mentioned, but Peter Greenberg has had some stupid articles over the years (one was about luggage fees on EasyJet).
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:48 AM

As a CDN I can say that most CDNs dont like being called Americans. Because we arent, Canada is a different country (and why should WE change OUR accents??)

Mind you I always tease people when they ask what part of the US I am from and say 'I am from the CDN part'...usually gets a smile and apology hahaha.

YOu cant take it too seriously, people arent calling us Americans on purpose, its just that we sound and generally look so similar and have similar cultural habits when travelling. But it does get annoying sometimes haha.

Its kind of like saying to an Irish person - what part of Britain are you from? Or asking an English person what part of Ireland or Scotland are they from.

Best bet is to ask what part of NORTH America are you from because that covers it!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:41 AM

Or, you could just say "Where are you from?" and remove any geographical sense of origin.

@atlga - thank you.

@Betsy - Well, it's not like I've been given free meals but I've been offered extras on several occasions. It's mostly in out of the way anonymous villages that aren't in travel books but I did get a 70 euro bottle of wine for 1/2 price in Burgundy (Nuit St. Georges) just because the owner liked Americans.