Reload this Page >

CHRISTMAS WHERE??

Search

CHRISTMAS WHERE??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:45 AM
Mary

CHRISTMAS WHERE??

We're just planning our 1st ever 'White Christmas'. Travelling from Australia and spending about 10 days in Europe. it will be 2 adults and 1 (easily bored) 16 year old son. Where should we go in Europe - without it breaking the bank? Maybe a few days skiing could be included, but it's not vital. At this stage we're looking at Vienna or Salzburg - but it's early days and we'd love some advice!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:22 AM
kate

Austria is a great choice as they do Christmas so well, and many things stay open over the Christmas period when other countries almost completely shut down.<BR><BR>I spent last Christmas in Salzburg and it was wonderful – snow, mountains, gluwein and more Christmas decorations than I've ever seen. They didn't have Christmas trees, they had Christmas forests, and museums were even open on Christmas day. And of course, it has the Sound of Music!<BR><BR>Why not have a few days in Salzburg and then a few days skiing? The 16 year old will LOVE that.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:09 AM
Elyse

For Christmas-time skiing I recommend Ehrwald, near Garmisch-Partenkirchen (1.5 hours south of Munich). The chances of snow are high, the accommodations were very cheap (we stayed in a pension for about $45 a night for two people). Not a lot of apres ski in town, its fairly quiet, but the skiing was wonderful and the people friendly - the easy and intermediate slopes were great.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:22 AM
Helen Donegan

Courmayeur would be a great choice for a white Christmas - beautiful, old, traditional village turned into a ski resort - plenty to do, great food and lovely scenery.<BR>I had a great Christmas there one year.<BR>http://www.courmayeur.net/

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:30 PM
bill

topping

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:34 PM
Uncle Sam

As an aside, I'd pick one of them that has a church for Christams Eve services.<BR><BR>Near Salzburg is the little church where Sielnt Night was written, all things considered, not a bad choice!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 01:50 PM
mmh

I think Salzburg is a wonderful choice; but, you might want to consider Switzerland as well. We spent last Christmas traveling from Zurich through Luzern and then on to Wengen for the actual holiday. No cars in Wengen, lots of snow and we really enjoyed skiing from there to Grindelwald.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:47 PM
Mary

Thanks for the suggestions. My husband and I were in Luzern last Nov - and really loved it - but we thought we'd try somewhere different for this trip.<BR>I understand that it is easy to get to the ski areas from Salzburg?? <BR>Also - has any one rented apartments in Salzburg, Vienna or Luzern?