Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Christmas Market in Kingston upon Thames, London

Christmas Market in Kingston upon Thames, London

Nov 7th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Christmas Market in Kingston upon Thames, London

I was in Kingston the other day, which is a lovely town in outer London, just south of Richmond, and found out they are having a German Christmas Market from 13 November.

If anyone is visiting London and looking for something different, you might enjoy this - a bit of shopping, a bit of a walk along the Thames and a look at the Christmas market as well.

www.kingstonfirst.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_upon_Thames

I like Kingston for shopping, the central area is pedestrianised and easy to get around. There are some lovely old buildings right on the market square, where the tourist information office is.

There is a mainline train station there and you can also catch the bus. Check www.tfl.gov.uk for transport options.

Kay
Nov 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Kay, we lived in Feltham and Yateley -so Kingston was a favourite shopping haunt even before they built the Mall.

However we always found parking rather difficult - the one way system made it even more difficult.

Worth it though, especially if the weather is nice.
Nov 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM

There's free on street parking just past the Hampton Wick train station in the residential areas, so if you don't want to venture into the notorius Kingston one-way system, or pay horrendous prices for a few hours parking, that's an option (it'll mean a 15 minute walk into Kingston, or a 2-minute train ride from Hampton Wick to Kingston Station).
Nov 10th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

We always get the bus which takes about 50 mins from Ealing. It's quite a nice ride, through Richmond, and you see glimpses of the Thames and narrowboats along the way. Coming back, if you sit on the left hand side of the bus, upstairs, here and there you can see over the wall into Kew Gardens.

We also caught the tube to Richmond once, then the bus onward to Kingston.

The good thing about public transport is you don't have to worry about parking or hassling with traffic.

Kay
Nov 10th, 2008, 01:11 AM

I grew up in Sunbury and used to get the train into Kingston. Haven't been for many many years now. Glad to hear that it is still thriving and the market sound interesting.
Nov 10th, 2008, 04:13 AM

I worked there for years. Last time I attemped to drive there was close to Christmas and it was a nearest thing to a gridlock experience I've ever had. Honest.

Nice place - once worth a visit but now just another soulless, anonymous town with a shopping mall. Sad but true.

Hopefully in 50 years' time they'll pull that mall down and start again.

Search this Thread