Christmas in Venice or Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a first trip to Italy for my mom and me in December. We will be there for thirteen days (12/15 to 12/26). We would like to divide our trip among Rome, Florence, and Venice, but we're not sure in which order.

Specifically, is it better to hit Venice first and end in Rome for Christmas? Or vice versa? Are there more special Christmas events in Rome than in Venice? What about prices? Do prices shoot up significantly in either city around Christmas?

Much thanks, Fodorites!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 04:59 PM

I would personally spend the first part of the trip in Venice and then in Rome, maybe it's a personal opinion as I have spent so many Christmas times in Rome and I LOVE the atmosphere there. Plus the masses in the Vatican an in the other big churches (San Paolo, San Gioivanni, Santa Maria Maggiore, Santa Maria in Trastevere etc...). The core of ROme is beautifully decorated, with lights and embellishments on the main shopping streets, and there are lots of people around so I would suggest that in case you haven't booked your hotel yet, to do it asap, because Rome at Xmas time is very very peopular (because for its religious celebrations). I have never spent a Xmas in Venice so I can't tell, Venice is beautiful, but in winter there is the acqua alta and I don't like to do Xmas shopping hopping from one temporary bridge to another.

Xmas time is high season in all European capital cities so prices can be higher than normal.
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 06:39 PM

My family and I spent last christmas in venice. There's not much happening then. Alot of restaurants are closed and some of the shops. Although there are fewer crowds, there's also more rain, colder temps and the possibility of temporary flooding, ie acqua alta.
We also went to Florence and rome afterwards.
Venice is wonderful, but during that time of year, I would spend the christmas holiday in ROme. Better weather, more lively, much more fun. My parents were with us and they enjoyed the activity of Rome over cold and rainy Venice.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 02:20 AM

So excited for you, Lil. I was in Rome for Xmas 2003 and Venice Xmas 2004.

You are in the middle of a Win-Win situation. You absolutely cannot go wrong no matter which city you choose.

Acqua alta was no problem...in fact, my daughters and I giggled the whole time.
We noticed little difference in size of crowds, weather, or places being closed, except for Xmas Eve in Rome. Most places, including cafes, closed around 4:30 PM, so if you choose to be there, check out whether your hotel has a restaurant or can give you recommendations.
Have a blast!!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 02:46 AM

We visited Venice just for the day, one Boxing Day, and it was bitterly cold. It was cold but sunny on the mainland, but freezing fog out on the lagoon. We went on a walking tour but it kept having to stop so people could have a coffee to thaw out. I would not recommend going to Venice at that time of year at all.

Rome should be warmer but it may rain.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:20 AM
jay

I would suggest Rome. Venice will be colder. Rome will be about 45f-50f in the day but a little chilly at night. There are many christmas markets (piazza navona) and you can go see the Pope on Christmas day doing the papal blessing. It is very spiritual. Christmas in Rome is considered high season so the hotel will cost more. Make sure you figure where to eat on Christmas eve. That is the big holiday not Christmas day. Be sure to do a couple of day trips during that time. Ostia would be good, Hadrians villa maybe? You will have a great time. We did.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:40 AM

If these were my dates, I'd begin the trip in Venice and end in Rome. Almost everything is closed on 12/25 and 12/26. If you run into any holiday inconveniences, Rome is an easier and more cost-effective city to leave.

Prices are high for your entire trip. Sales don't officially begin until after January 6. Some hotels charge a "premium" supplement for Christmas night stays. Be sure to check to avoid unwanted surprise.

There won't be much going on in Venice. I think you'll be surprised how uneventful the place really is. But Venice IS the event and, with fewer tourists, it's an absolute delight. Florence and Rome will be more crowded but the tourists that visit at this expensive time of year are of the highest quality. You'll see very few tour-bus excursions with groups of fifty.

This is a sacred time for most Italians and they celebrate in a conservative, low-key style. Don't expect anything too festive because you won't find it. Sampling the "spirit," one must look within.