Christmas in Scotland

Search

Christmas in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas in Scotland

Would treasure any information to going to Scotland in December. Yes, I know it's cold, but would like to plan a different type of vacation this year. Kids are away - one in Iraq. We can do about ten days. Any suggestions on itinerary would be helpful. We love the outdoors,shopping- esp. for antiques, good food and wine plus single malts,B@B's and anything Christmasy. Can you help us? Where do you suggest we fly into? Haven't been to Europe in several years and am dying to have a special holiday. THKS so much!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - just a couple of very quick comments now.

1) Christmas is fine in Scotland - but it really isn't the big holiday. Xmas is rather low key since the big build up is for Hogmanay (Scottish New Years) which is a HUGE holiday.

2) Your days will be VERY short. Up north near inverness, sunrise will be about 9:00 a.m. and sunset about 3:30 p.m. -- a few minutes more daylight down around Glasgow/Inverness.

The weather usually won't lend itself to much hiking/outdoorsy things.

Not at all trying to talk you out of it - I love Scotland in the winter. Just that you might want to re-think your ideas. There are several Fodorites who live in Scotland and they will probably have good suggestions for where it might be good to book a Christmas stay . . . .
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oops - that should read &quot; . . a few minutes more daylight down around Glasgow/<u>Edinburgh</u>.&quot;
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:12 PM

&quot;The weather usually won't lend itself to much hiking/outdoorsy things.&quot;

Every year on Boxing Day (26 Dec) we always go for a big long walk in the countryside or along the beach in East Lothian, unless it's absolutely pouring with rain. But most years we manage it.

MariaPatt, I'd recommend including a few days in Edinburgh in your itinerary - firstly because there's lots to do that won't depend on the weather being fine, and secondly because there are some nice opportunities for walking within and around the city if the weather is on your side (Arthur's Seat, Blackford Hill, Braid hills, etc.).You've also got pantomime at the Kings Theatre, ice skating in Prince's street gardens, plenty of museums, and lots of pubs to warm you up! The only problematic day would be the 25th, when everything will be shut. If it were me, I'd make sure I had a good lunch booked at a hotel somewhere, and then plan for a walk or an afternoon drink in the pub depending on the weather.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:45 PM

What a good idea. Can I, however, suggest you pick up janis's suggestion about being here for New Year. So, I guess I would aim to be here on the 21st and leave on or about the 2nd.

I'd pick somewhere to go to for Christmas itself that was pretty and rural, and (for myself) I'd pick a hotel or I'd take a rental.

I'd try to arrive somewhere that's having a big Christmas market on the 23rd- not like a Continental Christmas market- we do those, but they're poor fakes- but a big craft fair or something. If you like the idea, we can track something down.

So, for the sake of argument, you fly into Glasgow, and stay there overnight (unless you've got a self-catering place which you might want to get to). You move to your preferred location for Christmas- say Dunkeld, or just outside. It's close to Perth for bigger attractions, but is a nice wee shopping place with nice wee gift shops etc. It also has two or three good antique shops and there are lots more in the area. But it's little and there are great walks and horse riding and stuff in the immediate vicinity.

Also nice restaurants from the small and couthy to the VERY posh. With a similar range of places to stay.

Go to the midnight service at Dunkeld Cathedral on Christmas Eve, and have a very nice meal somewhere on Christmas Day. BIG range of options. Or cook yourself if thet's your thing and you're self-catering.

Book seats at the Pantomime in Perth for Boxing Day.

For New Year itself, I'd move on. Now I know tehre's a street party in Dunkeld on Hogmanay, but it's relatively downbeat. A few places have special things peculiar to them, like the Fireballs in Stonehaven, Burning the Clavie at Burghead, and the Flambeaux in Comrie, and any one of them would be worth seeing.

But if you want something a bit livelier, then consider going to one of the cities. Glasgow, Aberdeen and, especially, Edinburgh, have turned Hogmanay into a big spectacular party in recent years.

www.edinburghshogmanay.com.

I've actually never done any of these, because I go away somewhere remote with a group of friends every year.

But, if I were you, I'd do something like that.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 01:30 AM

Street parties on Hogmanay are a recent borrowing from mainland Europe designed to attract tourists.They involve really bad music and mass drunkenness. In general Scots dont go and resent being barred from their own city centres by ticket holding weirdos.
Hogmanay is traditionally spent indoors (apart from brief town centre meetings) because the weather is potentially deadly. If you want street parties go to Germany, they do them much better!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 01:47 AM

&quot;Street parties on Hogmanay are a recent borrowing from mainland Europe designed to attract tourists&quot;

In my lifetime there has always been a tradition in Edinburgh of congregating in the city centre (it used to be on the High Street, by the Tron) for the bells at midnight on Hogmanay. But it's true that the whole organised street party thing is a recent invention, which in my opinion has rather watered down the atmosphere that used to reign in Edinburgh on Hogmanay and turned it all into a tourist attraction rather than a gathering of locals. Still, it makes money for the city...
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 02:24 AM

Hm, 'Edinburgh's Hogmanay' street party (recent commercial version) - funnily enough, the idea of paying to get into the city centre, hanging about for several hours as part of a massive crowd, in the cold, then having to walk home, has never really appealed to me. And it's been cancelled due to extreme weather 2 out of the last 4 years. If you have to go out on Hogmanay itself, IMO it's preferable just to book a meal somewhere you can walk home from. Being able to see the fireworks at midnight is nice but unlike the festival fireworks, they are not that big a deal &amp; only last a few minutes. But as you'll see from Sheila's link, there are a few other events on around the preceding &amp; following few days.

Sheila, did you read something about Pete Irvine threatening not to organise anything again after last year ? Seem to remember I did. From the website it does seem that this year is on, though.

In the run up to Christmas there are various things on in Edinburgh like a German Xmas market (small &amp; a bit cheesy but I quite like it), an ice rink in Princes St Gardens &amp; a very small funfair. Here's a link although it doesn't actually seem to have any events listed - I expect the programme hasn't been launched yet - www.edinburghschristmas.com.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Definitely plan on being there for Hogmany. On my very first visit to Scotland, I arrived on Boxing Day (26th) and stayed for 3 weeks. It was great, and we had mild weather for some of it. We were in Aberdeen for Hogmany, went out with some friends (they did not have a big street party) to pubs, and got engaged!

They are definitely not big on Christmas there, but it is charming and magical just the same.

Have fun.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 06:18 AM

We have spent the last 5 Christmasses in Glasgow staying with our family. I have always been searching for that special Christmassy atmosphere, but have yet to find it.I have never even heard carol singers or a brass band play on Christmas Eve! Last year we deided to go to Edinburgh to stay the night before Christmas Eve in a hotel.It felt much more Christmassy across there! We had a lovely day visiting the Brittania (no crowds!) and ate at Martin Wisharts restaurant at night. A good time had by all. Back to Glasgow on Christmas Eve and it was frantic! Everyone stays in for the family Christmas day and then the next day -Boxing Day they all go crazy and start shopping again!!! I can't understand the point of it all.
This year we paying for the family to come home to us in Shetland so really looking forward to the peace and quiet. Off to Glasgow for New Year though!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We've spent two Christmasses and New Years in Edinburgh in the last few years. I grew up there and have a lot of friends and my whole family there. On Christmas Day, the city is pretty much deserted. I would advise you to find a hotel which puts on a very good Christmas Day meal. They all have their menus on their web sites, and they'll probably be up soon if not already.

Hogmanay has a lot of really fun activities before Hogmanay. Tha actual Street party is VERY crowded. We were there the first time it was cancelled because of bad weather. We had just arrived about twenty minutes before it was cancelled and there were so many people we literally coukd not move. Fortunately, I had my two big sons with me and they were able to shoulder us through the crowd.

However, there are usualy other events that night, and all the restaurnats have special menus for Hogmanay. if you decide to eat in a restaurant, make reservations soon. I'm not kidding. As soon as they put their menu up , make your reservation, especially if you want to go somewhere popular. There are fireworks at midnight and they are really fantastic. They are set off on all seven hills in Edinburgh, so virtually the whole city can see them. If you pick your location carefully, eg North Bridge, you can see the fireworks at the Castle, Arthur's Seat and the Calton Hill. The first time we went, we had dinner at the Tower, then we watched the fireworks on North Bridge. If you haven't booked a hotel yet, then keep firework location in mind when doing so!

The first and second of January are holidays in Scotland. I found it more convenient to drop off my rental car on Dec. 31 and take a cab to the airport on Jan 2. If you do that, book the cab in advance as there aren't so many about.

We were lucky and had a little snow each time. The first time there was quite a bit and my kids were thrilled! We live in San Diego so it's not an every day occurrence for them.

You'll find the shops and, in fact almost anywhere indoors, will be very warm, so plan on wearing layers that you can strip off as necessary and replace when you go outside again. Edinburgh can be very, very cold, but it's the most beautiful city in the world (completely unbiased opinion