Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Rome Countdown in Full Swing!

Dec 20th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Wow...I can hardly believe it's almost time to depart for my trip to Rome.

I leave on Saturday to spend 8 days in Rome over the Christmas holiday.

This will be a special trip since my mom will be coming with me and we haven't traveled together in YEARS. With my dad's passing earlier this year, I am hoping this trip will be a time for my mom and I to enjoy not only Rome but also each other! I am just thrilled we are taking this trip together.

And of course thanks to all the help I've received from the knowlegable Fodorites...I will repay you all with a trip report on my return!

Merry Christmas!
Dec 20th, 2007, 04:41 AM

"I am just thrilled we are taking this trip together."

With that attitude, it is sure to be the trip of a lifetime for you both.

Wishing you a joyous holiday in Rome.
Dec 20th, 2007, 04:48 AM

We leave tomorrow for our trip to Rome and Venice. We (me, DH, 2 teenage sons) will also be in Rome on Xmas. Have a great trip!!!!
Dec 20th, 2007, 05:24 AM

My husband and I are also leaving with the inlaws on Saturday for our Christmas/New Year's holiday in Rome. I was up at 5:30 this morning so I could pack since I am working up until practically the last minute. I still haven't decided on which jacket I should bring yet. But if that's my biggest worry, than life isn't too bad.

I hope you have a wonderful time with your mother.

Merry Christmas,
Eva
Dec 20th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warm wishes! Sounds like there will be a few Fodorites in Rome for this holiday! Hope your travels are safe!

Eva...I've been packed since Sunday! But I am still debating if I should take an extra sweather...living in the South Carolina Low Country I'm not used to very cold temps...let's hope the forecasts I'm looking at that say mid-50's for the highs will hold true.
Dec 20th, 2007, 07:11 AM

We were in Rome for X'mas a few years back. I was literally woken up X'mas morning by church bells from the many churches surrounding our hotel. It's one of those magical moments.

Have a great trip!
Dec 20th, 2007, 07:26 AM

I hate trying to anticipate weather!!!!! It's rather cold where we are (middle of nowhere.....north of Iran and south of Russia), so I am trying to convince the boys that they still need cold weather gear even tho Rome is "south" of us. Teenage boys can be SOOO stubborn!

carcassone - We're in a predominantly Muslim country, so church bells sound wonderful!

We're pretty much packed. Just need to get boys to gather iPods, cameras, and the various chargers. Oh yeah - and those books they are supposed to read for English! We leave early in the morning and will be in Rome by late afternoon. YEAH!
Dec 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Merry Christmas to all of you Fodorites who will be in Italy during the holiday season! May your ears enjoy all the beautiful church bells, your eyes all the fantastic sites and sights and may all your meals be delightful and my wishes the sun will shine on you at least a good part of the time.
Dec 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly...

Thanks for the good wishes...you are always so gracious and thoughtful with your comments...I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts!
Dec 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Oh thank you LowCountry. I so enjoyed reading about your trip. I am so sorry you two have lost your dear dad but how very special you and your mother can take this trip together. Getting away, especially to beautiful Rome, during this holiday season will be very good for both of you. If you two need a beautiful serene location to escape to for a bit do go to the Borghese Gardens LowCountry. I think you both would enjoy visiting it..a very special place.
Dec 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM

We leave on Christmas Day for Venice. We'll be seeing Venice, Florence & Rome (NY's Eve in Florence).

Merry Christmas to all the Fodorite Travel Elves!!
Dec 25th, 2007, 05:29 AM

It's now Christmas Day in Rome. Christmas Eve was great fun. The shops starting closing in the late afternoon, but many restaurants were open ....more than I expected. We had dinner (with reservations) at Alfredo's, near the Pantheon - originator of Fettucini Afredo in 1914 (according to the waiter). No matter - the fettucini was absolutely yummy. My husband had a big beef filet, my older son had sauteed veal with ham and sage in a white wine sauce, and my younger son had a salmon steak and grilled shrimp!!!

We were quite lazy this morning and didn't leave the hotel until almost noon. Went to the main train station to buy tickets to go to Pompeii (tomorrow) and Venice (Friday). Then took the metro to the Spanish Steps where a gospel group from the US was performing. What great fun! Walked around window shopping for a while. Then had a late lunch followed by some gelato. Now arguing over which restaurant to revist tonight.

I've been much better this trip about keeping track of where and what we eat.....so I will be able to include that in a trip report when we return.

Merry Christmas to all!
Dec 25th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Christmas in Switzerland has been a run for the mountains. Foggy and cold in the valleys and blue skies and crisp white snow in the mountains. Incredible skiing, beautiful scenery and white snow everywhere...just like Christmas should be!
Dec 25th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Sorry. I wanted to post this under the White Christmas thread. Too much Cafe Zwetschgen today.
Jan 1st, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Happy New Year or I should say Buon Ano!

Just returned from Roma last night and promise to do a trip report of my 8 days in the Eternal City once I have caught up on "reality" here at home!

Had a wonderful time in case you were wondering!

Ciao!
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM

No, no LowCountryIslander, not ano..you just wished us a good as*, lol.

Year is anno! Felice anno nuovo is Happy New Year.

Don't feel bad, you don't want to know about some of my goofs, lol. And I still chuckle over some of the really bad mistakes my Italian friends in Italy have made while trying to speak English. I would love to share them with you but I would no doubt be banned from Fodor's!

I can hardly wait to read your trip report! I knew you would have a beautiful time, but it is good to see that you did. Get some rest, bet you have a bit of jetlag, and thanks for checking in! Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

opps!

Thanks for the correction LoveItaly...I must be suffering from major jet-lag!

Jan 1st, 2008, 05:12 PM

Glad to see that you'll be posting a trip report lowcountryislander! I'm sure you and your mom had a splendid time!