Christmas in Paris

Dec 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
chu
Original Poster

Christmas in Paris

In ten days, we leave for our first-ever trip to Paris. I would like to purchase a high-quality nativity set. Where can we find a Parisian shop selling this?

Besides "liquid grape" beverages and chocolates, what are Parisian must-buy gifts for friends and family in the USA?

Thinking of late December in Paris, any tips on female dress? I'm not a jeans and sneakers kind of gal and I try to pack smart; living in Texas, the weather forcast has me a bit concerned.

Thanks for any advice; I am very excited!

Dec 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Go to Printemps and look at the knives with the little bee... these knives are not cheap but oh my the quality.

Also, take pants and layer your clothes, make sure to take a good coat for nights, gloves, ear muffs, and a good unbrella..

Visit my web site to see the Christmas lights at Printemps. emilyandjim.info
Dec 10th, 2007, 03:59 PM
chu
Original Poster

I would love to visit your web! Forgive me, what is the url? I've tried a www.emilyandjim.info search and come up empty.
Dec 10th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Well, you might look around for "santons" small ceramic figurines w/ which you can make up a nativity scene. Sorry, dont know where they are sold but they must somewhere in Paris.
Dec 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM

There are several shops in Place St-Sulpice that sell santons, which are traditional Provencal creche figures. I can recall two on the north side of the Place, between the Café de la Mairie and the Yves St-Laurent boutique.
Dec 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM
chu
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the idea of the Santons. I saw a piece about these on the Travel channel, Samantha Brown's show. It's a great idea.

What are your favorite things to bring home? Anything that is significantly less expensive there? The Euro certainly doen't encourage many splurges right now.
Dec 11th, 2007, 06:36 PM

I uaually get some scarves. I find the selection is so much greater than anyplace at home. I have spent a lot and have spent a little. Got a fun one last trip at a street market for 5 euos and got a fabulous one at a small shop that only sold scarves. I have tried to put the price of THAT one out of my mind..some would way I WAS out of my mind.

I was there last November and it was fairly chilly. It will probably be colder for you. I take black knit pants and wear tights under them. I wear comfortable sox and comfortable black shoes or my Merrel short black boots. I take a couple of pair of silk underwear tops and wear those with a sweater or a T-shirt AND a sweater depending on how cold. I also have a couple of cardigan sweaters so I can wear those and IF that's not enough I have an ankle length black medium weight wool coat. That also keeps my legs warm if it's windy and such. I like the medium weight because it's not too too heavy to carry when in stores etc. that are usually over heated. I also have lined Isotoner gloves and take a couple of scarves.

I wore the same type of clothes in Copenhagen and Stockholm two Christmases ago and was very comfortable even though the high temps were in the 20's. Don't forget your umbrella.
Dec 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM

At the suggestion of Fodorites, my group of five gals went to Auchon, a supermarche at the end of the main metro line (La Defense). There are lots of things to pick up for gifts at very reasonable prices: cookies, spices, etc. While you are there, you might want to go to the top of the Grand Arch. Not too many visitors think to do this.
Dec 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM

Hi

If this is your first time to Paris...maybe you can find some useful info in my trip report with pictures: http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . My wife and I went there last year and it is a lovely city. Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:43 AM
rhy

Last time I was in Paris, I brought back mustard from the Maille shop in Madeliene. You can buy fresh mustard that they puor into crocks and stopper with cork. They even wrapped it for traveling. But now that it would have to be in checked luggage, I would probably also use zip lock bags.
Dec 12th, 2007, 06:38 AM

I love the gift ideas for children and adults at Pylones on the Ile de St-Louis

http://www.pylones.com/accueil.php?lang=en

Don't neglect the gift shops in various museums or the museum store in the Marais..whose address I forget..that carries a selection from various museums.

I just bought some really nice plastic trays with Paris scenes at Comptoir Richard. They have several shops in Paris.

http://www.aveyron.com/parisien/boutik_richard.html

Dec 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM

I also got some sox and one of the very touristy gift shops on Ile St. Louis. I am wearing them now. They have the metro sign on them. They were cheap which is why I only got one pair, thought they'd wear out in no time. I am kicking myself because these are the best sox, soft and warm. Great sox in a crappy tourist gift shop..who knew?!!! LOL So, my next trip I'm getting a bunch of them if I can find the store again.
Dec 12th, 2007, 09:04 AM
tod

chu - Please have a look at La Boutique des Anges, 2 rue Yvonne Le Tac, Monmartre. Tel;01 42 57 74 38.

This shop specializes in anything to do with angels - figurines, music CD's, prints etc, They are bound to have something in the Christmas theme.

"If you were born without wings,
Do nothing to prevent them growing"

Next shopping choice:
A small shop in the Palais Royal specializing in musical boxes.
I bought two small ones with the song "La Vie en Rose"
They have something for every pocket
right up to hundreds of dollars.
Every musical box is beautifully & carefully wrapped!
Dec 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM

bkm