Christmas in NORWAY

Oct 23rd, 1997, 02:50 PM
CORA

Christmas in NORWAY

I AM PLANNING TO SPEND MY CHRISTMAS VACATION IN NORWAY.DOES ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT REASONABLE HOTELS,TRANSPORTATION AND NICE PLACES TO HANG AROUND? YOUR INPUT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.THANK YOU!

Oct 24th, 1997, 01:07 PM
Nils

I recommend the village of Voss. Go by air to the city of Bergen. Voss is 1 hour by train from there.
Park Hotel is relatively reasonable. It is beatifully situated near the railway station. Voss is a genuine norwegian village. I also can recommend Lillehammer, Oslo, Geilo, Oppdal and Ustaoset.

My home city, Bergen, is also a beatiful city. You can stay at a reasonable price at "Skansen Pensjonat" with a fine view over the city. Bergen is the "capital of the fjords" in Norway. Try Lutefisk, christmas-beer and aquavit when you visit Norway. It is great! You should also try "ribbe & surkaal" and "pinnekjoett" which is the typical norwegian christmas-dinner.

Nov 3rd, 1997, 11:36 AM
Melissa

Nils, What are "ribbe & surkaal" & "pinnekjoett"? I've read that Christmas in Norway is incredible!

Nov 3rd, 1997, 02:00 PM
Nils

Hi, Melissa!
I am afraid my english is not too good. But I will try to explain what Lutefisk, Ribbe & surkaal and "Pinnekj°tt" is. Lutefisk is codfish which has been dried in the sun and then prepared in a potash lye. We eat it together with potatoes,bacon, bacon-juice and green and yellow peas. It has a special taste, but I think it is the best you can eat in Christmas-time. Christmas beer and the norwegian spirituosa "Line aquavit" is a must here (as together with Ribbe/surkaal and Pinnekj°tt)
(Or non-alcohol beer if you dont drink alcohol)

Ribbe & surkaal: This is meat from the ribside of the pork. It is fried in an oven like roast and served with potatoes, cabbage a la norvegienne and the juice from the fried pork. This is the traditional Christmas meal in the eastern part of Norway.

Pinnekj°tt is salted (and sometimes also smoked) and dried meat of mutton ribside. It is f°rst cooked on pins for about 3 hours and then fried in about 10 minutes in an oven. It is served with otatoesd, mashed swedes and the juice of the fried meat. This is the traditional Christmas meal in the western part of Norway.

The Christmas in Norway is, as you mention, incredible. It is dark, cold and often very windy. But inside we celebrate Christmas! On the Christmas day we always take a trip outside to "enjoy" the cold and stormy weather. This sharpens the apetite! The vikings had Mid-winter-blot before Norway was christianed, and Lutefisk, Ribbe & surkaal and Pinnekj°tt are descendants from that time (as is the speciality christmas beer)

Nov 3rd, 1997, 02:09 PM
Tricia

What a neat story! I want to move-its too hot in California, Nils. Do you want to trade homes for a couple of weeks and sunbathe! We have turkey or ham here, not as exciting, but lots of sweets, of course. My brother and father live in No. Holland. I will have to ask if they have that pork dish in Holland, because I love pork and I may rebel this year. Heck with turkey, bring forth the pork!